Unibody MBP Silicone Keyboard Cover and Hard Shell?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by anth, Nov 28, 2008.

1. anth macrumors member

I have a new Unibody Macbook Pro, and I'm looking to get a bit of protection for it...

I'd like a keyboard cover of some sort, to keep the dust and grime out of the keyboard. Is anybody using a silicone keyboard cover on their new MBP? Do they mark the glass screen?

I was thinking of something like this:

http://store.bargaincell.com/Durabl...froogle&utm_medium=organic&utm_source=froogle

or this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Keyboard-Clear-...Z4601QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1713.m153.l1262

Also, I'm looking to get a hard shell case. Is there anything I should be concerned about? Damage to the MBP? Will the tabs of the case ding the sharp edges of the MBP?

It seems as though the only hard case for the Unibody MBP is from Speck. Does anyone have one yet?

Cheers,

Anthony

2. Solemony macrumors 6502

Solemony

I don't recommend getting the hard shell yet just because there aren't a lot of those out and as of now the choice to choose from is kind of limited. I'd would wait a little bit more until they have more designs that are fit for the new MB and MBP. It's only my opinion but I think it's up to you.

Things you should be concerned are probably if the hard shell case fit nicely and hoping it won't scratch or suddenly pops off. Though I think you should read some of the reviews by other customers that bought the hard case and see what they have to say about it and decide whether you should get it or not.

3. anth thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the response, Solemony. I've looked for reviews on the new Speck cases (I'm familiar with the search button...), but there don't appear to be any out yet.

Is anyone else using a silicone keyboard cover? How about on a new unibody Macbook or Macbook Pro?

-Anthony

4. Essjay macrumors regular

I used the cover on the Santa Rosa MBP and it works well, only problem is that it will mark the screen as it is not thin enough to not touch the screen when the laptop is closed. The old cover from iSkin works with the unibody but I would wait until they come out with the new version.

5. Warranty Voider macrumors 6502

I may be wrong about this, but I think that the fan takes in air through the keyboard. When my fans are on full blast, I can feel a slight breeze near the ports, and on top of the keyboard. If the fans do take air in through the keyboard, then I think it would be a bad idea to get a keyboard cover because it would block the airflow.

6. anth thread starter macrumors member

That's precisely the kind of thing I was wondering...

And whether the cover would mar the scree. If it does either of those things (or both!), it's not really an option.

Thanks,

Anthony

7. anth thread starter macrumors member

That's precisely the kind of thing I was wondering...

And whether the cover would mar the scree. If it does either of those things (or both!), it's not really an option.

Thanks,

Anthony