Unibody MBP: sleep problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lordthistle, Feb 9, 2009.

1. lordthistle macrumors 6502

I have been experiencing a strange problem with my Unibody MBP for the past few weeks.

After some sleep cycles, if I put the MBP in sleeping mode using the keyboard and close the screen, the MBP wakes up. Once woken up, even if the lid is closed, the screen is on (and so is the apple behind).

I do not understand if it is a hw problem or a sw problem. Since it does not happen the first time after a reboot, I think it's software.

Did any of you experience the same problem? Any solution?

Thanks,
    thistle

2. lordthistle thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. I had already read that (and some more stuff), but couldn't find anything related to this.

It looks like for my sleeping MBP, closing the screen is equivalent to opening it.

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I always just close the lid to put my MB to sleep. See if that works.

4. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

Externals

Do you have anything external (Phone, printer, mouse, keyboard, iPod, speakers, remote, TV) that might cause it to turn on? I had the same problem with mine, but I solved it after puzzling over the issue of my Bluetooth mouse turning off after 20 minutes, causing the computer to turn on again. I also had an external 2 TB hard drive that would update every hour, making the thing turn on with the lid on, and reach temperatures of 200 degrees at idle. Try to prevent it, as my battery just... got chunky after a night of this heat. :(

5. JBazz macrumors 6502

I had the same thing with my unibody macbook. I took it down to the apple store and they reinstalled the software and it seems to be doing better. I was worried though, a few times I went to take it out of my bag and it was super hot from not going to sleep.

6. lordthistle thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, closing the lid works. But sometimes I do what I described.

I also thought it was caused by the bluetooth mouse. But it happens also when the mouse is off and has been off for days. Frankly, I couldn't find any explanation for this.

May be it's software, but it's quite disturbing to see that the screen can be ON even if the notebook is closed.

Thanks.