Unibody MBP stock RAM?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SeanL116, Jan 29, 2009.

1. SeanL116 macrumors newbie

I am currently weighing the pros and cons of purchasing a new unibody MBP (as well as which MBP to purchase).

The 2.4 GHz MBP comes with 2GB of RAM stock, does anyone know what configuration it is in? Is it 1GBx2 or a single 2GB stick?

How much would the loss of dual channel support hurt my performance if I went with a 3GB configuration (1GB+2GB)?

Thanks.

2. duffyanneal macrumors 6502a

duffyanneal

Apple should be shipping these machines with 4 GB of RAM. The standard config ships with 1GB x 2. So if you want 4 GB you're going to have to replace both modules. 3GB isn't a bad number and would probably be OK for general use along with some more demanding tasks. You won't loose much if any performance going with unmatched units. It isn't as big of a factor as it was in the past. If you use the discrete video (9600) then dual channel makes no difference at all since it uses it own memory vs. shared memory with the system.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Apple always sells it in 2x[RAM Stick] configurations because the assumption is you buy the model for performance, not to save money to upgrade later.

4. nippyjun macrumors 65816

You can get 4 gigs, 2x2gb from crucial right now for 80 bucks. I'd just go for that.

Apple should include 4gig with them of course, and maybe one day they will as the price of ddr3 has dropped a lot lately.