Unibody MBP - Terrible wireless receptioin when lid is closed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mgpg89, Nov 10, 2008.

1. mgpg89 macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

I use my MBP a lot in clamshell mode (hooked up to external ACD along with external keyboard and mouse) but I noticed the wi-fi reception is absolutely terrible when the lid is closed ...

Anyone have any idea why this is the case? (I assume the antenna not being as exposed as it would be when the lid is open)
    Or can this be solved with a software fix?

2. f1 macrumors 6502

I've experienced what you are experiencing with a lot of current mac laptops. I believe it has to do with the fact that the wifi antennae is in the screen bezel.

3. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

confirmed here too.

happens with a 2.4 Penryn MBP. Signal just shoots down.

ah well, no big deal.

4. MacPil0T macrumors member

Yeah, I doubt Apple, or other notebook manufacturers for that matter, take wireless signal when the lid is closed into consideration when they design the machine. Not an issue really.

5. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Patient: Doctor, it hurts when I cough.

Doctor: Then don't cough.

The antenna is behind the plastic hinge cover. Shutting the lid surrounds the antenna with metal.

6. mgpg89 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

So working with this, would be a no-go?

[​IMG]

And what about an external antenna when I'm in clamshell?
    Would that be an option?

7. mgpg89 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

Well ...?

8. monkey86 macrumors 6502

monkey86

buy a tower. then you can have it hooked up to your monitor all day.

you have a laptop, and when its shut you get crap reception - have it open and it will work. also everytime you use it in clamshell your reducing the life of your laptop.

9. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Not much u can do about it.

This is is one place where you can argue the design is crap. My G4 had the receivers in the outside of the case, but i guess that would take away from the stylish design of the new MBPs.

10. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

My G4 PB12's antenna was in the airport card slot next to the battery, that meant it was next to lots of metal and at the same level as the desk I used it on. No problems though :rolleyes:

11. mgpg89 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

I bought an AirPort Express ... Can I use the Express to connect to the existing network (existing network uses an AirPort Extreme) and then connect the Express to my notebook with an ethernet cable?

I'm not home so I can't try yet, but if you guys assure me it will work or if it won't, I can return it to the store without opening the package.

12. keewee macrumors newbie

"terrible wireless reception when lid is closed"

- It hurts when i punch myself in the face.

13. mgpg89 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

Anyone?

14. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

put a thin strip of tinfoil in between the keyboard and display when it's closed - with half of it sticking out the edge. :confused:

That might actually help. Not sure anyone would want to do it, but, hey, I tried.

I don't know the gap between the keys and the screen, but if you're worried about scratching anything - fold a piece of paper in half and put the foil inside that. Or a paper towel or something.

15. Ampidire macrumors 6502

Ampidire

if you're already plugging in an external keyboard, mouse, and display, why not ethernet?

16. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

Does the connection drop out, or just lower a bit. If you just loose a wee bit of signal strength well ignore it it can still work with 1 bar of signal it does not always need to be full.

17. robby818 macrumors 6502a

I think the antennas are located behind the black rubber/plastic strip located at the hinge....i think Apple switched to this location to improve wi-fi reception.

18. monkey86 macrumors 6502

monkey86

your pbs airport card was there, the antenna isnt. its the thin cables behind the lcd display and taped to the top cover.

closing your laptop lid will hinder your connection AND reduce the life of your mbp due to excessive heat build up. keep it open ffs.

19. Jxames macrumors newbie

Finding this really annoying when I've got mine connected to my tv.

20. mallchin macrumors newbie

Why is it reducing the life in clamshell mode?

21. KamiNoYadoru macrumors member

22. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

Yes, this will work if your Airport Express is set to use WDS (extending your wireless network).

23. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Hey guys, thought I'd resurrect this thread because I'm having the exact same issue.

When I close the lid on my new 13" Macbook Pro the WiFi connection (and browsing the internet through that) becomes prohibitively slow. I can now not even use my external monitor because of this. This was not an issue on my old blackbook.

Any work-arounds/suggestions? Is this common? Thanks