unibody MBP trackpad adjustment problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sjackson12, Feb 9, 2011.

1. sjackson12 macrumors member

I found this thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=602718

I adjusted the screw to various looser positions. However the problem I had is that once I replaced the battery, the force required to do this (pushing it down so you can lock it in) pushes the screw back down to where it was. In fact after loosening the screw quite a bit and replacing the battery it was even harder to click than before (it's practically unusable now).

Is there something I'm missing? I just switched to multi-touch gestures for now when I don't have an external mouse handy.

2. axu539 macrumors 6502a

try tightening the screw a little? personally, I use tap to click and 3 finger drag for most things. clicking is just too loud on the solid trackpad..

3. sjackson12 thread starter macrumors member

It was already too tight, I was loosening it to make it easier to click. But regardless of where the screw ended up it just got pushed back into place by the battery.

4. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

Try not to force it, glass trackpad!
    I have heard of this issue before and most people seemed to end up, ultimately, replacing the trackpad.
    As someone else said, tap to click, I hate the click on the MBP trackpad even when it`s working correctly.

5. sjackson12 thread starter macrumors member

I am using the gestures now, but it would still be nice to be able to fix the trackpad if I want to go back to clicking.

6. axu539 macrumors 6502a

could it be possible that you stripped the screw while adjusting it? if that's the case, you either need a new screw or a new top case depending on what you actually stripped... hopefully not the top case

7. sjackson12 thread starter macrumors member

I can still screw it in and out. I'm not sure what you mean by top case - is that the battery door?

8. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

Top case is basically the unibody (the main body of the machine excl. the screen).
    Hopefully you don`t need one...