Unibody MBP Viewing Angle

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by integrat.ethis, Nov 12, 2008.

1. integrat.ethis macrumors regular

I'm curious to see if there is any difference in viewing angle between the various MBP screens. It's really the only thing I'm not satisfied with on my machine.

Try this test:
    http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/viewing_angle.php

Then report back with your model (9C84 or 9C85). The test will work best, of course, with people who actually have their hands on both machines. Or, someone with access to an Apple store could try it there.

I have a 9C85, and the top half of mine is distinctly green, and the bottom half-pinkish. Thus I can see a clear color gradient on screens of solid color.

2. sukanas macrumors 6502a

sukanas

well how close are u from the screen?

i have the 9C84
    from a 'standard' regular distance
    the top is gray and the bottom is pink

3. 7even macrumors 6502a

Same here, 9C84 panel. I haven't seen a single TN-panel laptop which would "pass" that viewing angle test though.. thankfully it's not obvious under normal usage.

4. sukanas macrumors 6502a

sukanas

+1
    its definitely one of the better panels compared to other laptops ive seen but it certainly doesnt pass that viewing angle test

5. integrat.ethis thread starter macrumors regular

6. duffyanneal macrumors 6502a

duffyanneal

Same here. This is normal for the type of displays used in notebooks. You won't get a uniform color unless you use an MVA or IPS display neither of which is available anymore in notebooks (you can find something equivalent in tablet PCs).

7. Red-red macrumors 6502

I don't know what your expecting from a notebook screen. They are all like that.

Mine is a really faint pinkish to the bottom and greyish maybe a little bit of very light green to the top. It's a TN panel, you're simply not going to get amazing viewing angles from a machine this price. To get that you spend the same amount just on a monitor.

8. integrat.ethis thread starter macrumors regular

My previous Dell XPS had a true sweet spot, where there was no gradient on screen when viewed head on. I was just a little surprised at the difference on this machine, and just wanted to confirm that it wasn't just mine. If it was, I could always try to exchange it. From your description, yours is slightly better than mine - I would describe mine as "quite" pink and green. Really hard to say though without actually seeing them side by side.

9. Timur macrumors 6502a

Timur

My 9c84 MBP has the same bad vertical viewing angles, but its more a problem of light vs dark colors, less of color shifting. It's not possible to find an angle that allows to see both dark color and light colors.

To see dark you need an angle from above, very close to the point where black begins to wash out. When you adjust the screen to see dark color at the upper region it will already wash out at the lower regions. When you set it to see dark colors at the lower regions without washing out black then dark color turn to black at the upper region.

To see light you need an angle from below else they will turn into pure white. Problem is that it's nearly impossible to set such an angle for the lower region of the screen without taking the whole MBP up and looking from nearly on axis of the keyboard. And you cannot see dark color anymore then (all black and at more extreme levels turning into a band of blue).