Unibody MBP vs Previous Gen. MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by GMACUK, Dec 26, 2008.

1. GMACUK macrumors newbie

Hi this is my first post and I'd like some buying advice. Its a two part question so please bear with me!

After reading the forums for a while now I've decided that for my money and what I want to use it for the Unibody MBP 2.4GHz will more than meet my needs and falls within my budget of £1500. My only reservation is the glossy screen. I work in publishing and travel with my lap top every day. The glossy screen looks great and seductive in the Apple store but what about the user experience in the field and whats the likelihood of Apple announcing Matte screen versions in 2009?

Finally hunting around on the internet I found this deal for a previous gen MBP with a matte screen:

Apple MacBook Pro 15.4" TFT Matte screen 2.5GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2GB / 250GB / SuperDrive / Airport Extreme / Bluetooth 2.1 / NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT 512MB for £1149.99.

How does this stack up against the Unibody 2.4GHz?
    Thanks and Happy New Year:)

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

0% unless they've started listening to their customers, and then it's 3%.

3. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

What about the user experience in the field?

Just dont go anywhere really bright or you wont be able to see your screen at all, and sometimes reflections of lightbulbs indoors can be irritating but its definately worth it, the colours are just so much more rich and in depth on a glossy screen, especially if your going to watch an HD movie, or for graphic design work.

Whats the likelihood of Apple announcing Matte screen versions in 2009?

As Tallest Skil just said, 0%, No Way.
    They've already made it clear they are dropping Matte screens permanently for the Macbook range, thats why they put shiny borders on the screens inside.

4. cricketbird macrumors member

You can find TONS of posts on "glossy vs matte screen". Everyone and their dog has a strong opinion on this issue and have posted long rants and raves about it. And, as other posters have mentioned, Apple has switched to 100% glossy so don't hold out hope there.

That said, you CAN get the glossy new unibody computer of your dreams and then just get one of those removable cling-on matte screen protectors and it's almost (not 100%, but close) like having a matte screen. So, you can try it both ways.

Personally, I like the glossy okay (would have preferred matte). When reading long text onscreen the glare can give you a headache, though. I just turn the brightness down and I'm okay. My coworker uses the matte screen cling and that works well too - I'll probably get one of those eventually.

Just some options. The old MBPs are wonderful too, so they aren't a bad choice either if you are really set on the matte screen.

CB

5. UTclassof89 macrumors 6502

UTclassof89

The specs of the unibody macs don't greatly exceed the specs of the machine the OP listed. I say buy the one matte screen and leave Apple some feedback at http://www.apple.com/feedback/macbookpro.html
    (Apple does listen; they just don't react unless LOTS of customers complain. I'm 100% with you on the glossy screen issue--I've looked at them in the store and will not buy one)

6. cdcastillo macrumors 6502a

cdcastillo

The previous gen

I would definitely go with the previous gen MB Pro... it's a better machine, for less money, and it has a matte screen... a no brainer.

7. GMACUK thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice and having gone into the Apple store in Regents Street, London decided to buy the previous gen. MBP with matte screen from a reseller. Must give a shout to the Apple store staff there! Really friendly and gave me good impartial advice, one admitting he would go with the previous gen. for the matte screen! The glossy screen would be great for movies but the reservations I have over how useable it is under different lighting conditions and eye strain outweigh the obvious advances in build quality. I mean the Unibody design is beautiful and feels really robust but for me the practicalities outweigh the aesthetics of the new design. Can def see it being hailed as an icon of early 21st C. design.

8. ccolaco macrumors 6502

If you doa search online, they are films you could put on your glossy display to make it matte.