Unibody Metal MacBook = MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Messy, Dec 11, 2010.

1. Messy macrumors 6502

Before you answer read my question...

Ive been looking to sell my White 2007 Macbook and buy a Unibody MacBook Pro, I like the portability of the 13" so will go for one of them.

Ive been looking around, and found "MacBooks" that are metal unibodys, but have the spec of the MacBook "pro"s.

For example:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Apple-13-3-Ma...omputing_Apple_Laptops_ET&hash=item35ae7c5a50

MORE SPECIFIC QUESTION...

Were the early MacBook 13"s at one point rebranded or something?

Essentially that seems to me as a MacBook Pro, it does look Spec wise.

Someone clear up the confusion :D

Thanks guys!

2. simsaladimbamba

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

That's late 2008 MacBook. Apple redesigned them with the aluminum body in late 2008 and in June 2009, Apple renamed the aluminum MacBook to be 13" MacBook Pro.

4. Messy thread starter macrumors 6502

Ahh so there was never actually a 13" MBP, but when they came out they shortly decided to add a firewire port and rebrand them to MBP's?

Are the Alu MB's a good buy?

They seem to have everything i'd want for the price of a regular MB (white).

Any advice?

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yeah, before MacBook Pros were only 15" and 17". The 13" isn't really a "pro" model, Apple just added the pro tag to make it sell better.

Alu MBs are good but I remember people complaining about their screens but they should still be okay if you want to save some $ and prefer the aluminum body.

6. Messy thread starter macrumors 6502

The things i prefer are the black keyboard, the backlit keyboard, the black bezel and the alu body, just seems a bit tougher than the white books.

Ive got a white mb at the mo, and ive had cracking issues in the past.

I'd be interested to know peoples opinions on if they had to buy a mb, and were given this as the option etc. Or any other owners :)

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Only the 2.4GHz aluminum MacBook has backlit keyboard. The model you linked does not

8. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

I have the late 2009 13" Macbook Pro, and I absolutely love it. Most people hate the lack of an anti-glare screen option, but I don't mind the glossy screen. They don't actually have a black bezel. It's an edge-to-edge glass, although the glass is black around the perimeter of the screen.

9. Messy thread starter macrumors 6502

I see, and why did you choose this instead of a regular whitebook?

Interesting to note about the backlit only being on the 2.4gh models, i guess if i buy one its going to have to be that model.

10. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

Actually the late-2009 models also have the backlit keyboard. If I understand correctly, all of them officially labelled as a Pro have it.

I chose it for its durability, its beauty, and tbh, because I wanted the size of the 13", but how cool is it to tell people about your Macbook PRO.

Another note, most people have determined that the edge-to-edge glass is for looks and to make it more ridgid, but that glass actually saved my screen once.

My girlfriend had an accident, screen got hit, HARD. It busted the glass, but my screen was perfect. $75 for a new glass and I was back in business.