Unibody Nvidia + Photoshop CS4 OpenGL bug?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bay2sacto, Mar 1, 2009.

1. bay2sacto macrumors member

I am experiencing a particular bug in Photoshop CS4 Extended which is related to the OpenGL GPU acceleration which is very dependent on the video driver. The particular bug I'm seeing is when I free transform a object/layer or perform a transform selection the transformed object/layer/selection is off by a pixel and that pixel is semi-transparent with whatever is being transformed.

Can anybody with both a unibody and Photoshop CS4 test this on their system to see if its really an issue with the driver or if it is something with my Photoshop installation?

Here's what I do to test. 1. creat a new doc at any size/ppi. 2. drag out a selection and fill with a solid color. 3. free transform object/selection. 4. zoom in on transformed object and look at the edges to see if there is this feathered/semi-transparent edge.

I haven't tested in bootcamp since I don't have a Win version of CS4.

Thanks.

2. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

I tried duplicating this a few times, and sorry to say, I couldn't.

15" MBP and CS4, so it's got to be something else?

3. bay2sacto thread starter macrumors member

hmm...I tried resetting the preferences and still have the same issue. I'm using the discrete 9600 GPU. Don't know if I need to try a re-install of CS4. I've alrey upgraded to PS 11.01. Quite annoying! I also applied the January 09 Nvidia update so i don't know if that has anything to do with this.

4. bay2sacto thread starter macrumors member

Here are screenshots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I reset Photoshop preferences. Then reinstalled Photoshop which seemed to make things kinda better. I only get the distortion when free transforming and not transforming a selection.

5. 55orangeave macrumors member

55orangeave

I know this is not exactly related to the beginning issue. But when I try to install CS4 the program installs, when I go to Launch I see dull PS icon that says this architecture doesn't support this program.????? Has anyone else seen this problem before.

I have a 2.0 unibody macbook. What gives here

Thanks for any support.

6. bay2sacto thread starter macrumors member

Hello,

I have seemed to excise the transform demon. I did a full uninstall/reinstall of CS4. I was getting weird issues with Adobe Update not correctly applying updates and not showing the various apps as have being updated so I figured a reinstall was needed. After testing Photoshop after the reinstall the free transform/transform selection bug I was seeing is gone. Yay!

So I think the lesson I learned from this whole ordeal is: DON'T EVER RENAME ADOBE APPLICATION FOLDERS!