Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amitdoc2b

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2008
If anyone owns the MBP or MB unibodies, I was just curious if the trackpad wears out or shines from oily skin? I know the black keyboard has these issues.. Thanks.

lordthistle

macrumors 6502
Feb 29, 2008
Italy
Wear out? The oldest trackpad has 4 months.

Shines? Like everything else you touch with your hands. No more, no less.

Mr. Giver '94

macrumors 68000
Jun 2, 2008
London
If anyone owns the MBP or MB unibodies, I was just curious if the trackpad wears out or shines from oily skin? I know the black keyboard has these issues.. Thanks.

I don't know of anyone having issues like this. Sure, things wear out over time, but not because of the oil on your hands. :)

I suppose if you never washed your hands..........well, you have more problems to worry about than a shiny trackpad. :D

amitdoc2b

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2008
Many on this forum are reporting the black keys of the keyboard to be shiny from oily skin within 2 weeks of purchase... so my question was if this is happening with the trackpad too. 4 months is a pretty good sample size.

Wear out? The oldest trackpad has 4 months.

Shines? Like everything else you touch with your hands. No more, no less.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
It won't wear out, but it'll shine. If you look at an old laptop (over a year old, not weeks), and that person has used it a lot, it'll tend to have shiny trackpads or darkened palmrests that become difficult to clean if you don't do so regularly. However, they can be cleaned, which proves that they're not actually being "worn out".

The "shine" people are complaining about is caused by both Apple's use of smooth textured keys, plus by oil from your fingers. Previous MBPs had keyboards with keys that were not completely smooth. There was a subtle texture to it, and that's why they didn't get all shiny.

It's not due to manufacturing defect, so don't worry. Just clean it with something that can cut through oil. Or sometimes, just use a tissue and wipe up the keys and palmrests. All the MacBooks have had this problem (black and white), and the keys on the new unibody MB and MBP are even smoother than the plastic MacBook's.

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本

Whenever a human being or something rubs against a surface, continuously, it's normal for it to become polished over time. The same thing is happening on your Mac. The only reason you're noticing it, it's because you can compare it to other, lesser touched or used buttons.

If it worried you, there are solutions out there that could help. Perhaps some trackpad film (instead of polishing the glass on your trackpad, you'll polish the plastic surface while lining the pockets of others).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.