Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steffi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2003
My 2.53 GHZ Unibody is very loud with one of the fans today.

Anybody seen this?

the RPM sensors don't show anything unusual just the noise inside
is much much louder than normal.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
So the fans are spinning with 3000 RPMs but it sounds like 6000 RPM?

What software do you use to monitor the fan speed and CPU temperature, and what software do you use to control the fan speed?

steffi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2003
Fan control didn't seem to do a whole lot for me.

iStatMenus show RPM as 2000 rpm but the left one is definately all of a sudden louder and I noticed post 10.5.7 fans hitting 4500+ rpm plus sporadically.

smcFanControl also doesn't do anything when launched for me.

What would I do in Fan Control? doesn't seem to let me control each fan independently.

See attachment for the sound. Turn up your volume.

Attachments

• note2self_264448685.132031.aiff.zip
    282.1 KB · Views: 87

steffi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2003
Yeah I did that and reset the PRAM.

SMC is take AC adapter out, battery and then hold power down for 5 seconds right? The issue is that you never get any feedback that it worked.

Try resetting SMC?

ViciousShadow21

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2009
To your left or right
Fan control didn't seem to do a whole lot for me.

iStatMenus show RPM as 2000 rpm but the left one is definately all of a sudden louder and I noticed post 10.5.7 fans hitting 4500+ rpm plus sporadically.

smcFanControl also doesn't do anything when launched for me.

What would I do in Fan Control? doesn't seem to let me control each fan independently.

i suggested fancontrol to help experiment. to diagnose the problem. if your fan sensors i truly kaputt then fancontrol would be able to tell you that

steffi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2003
When I read that document I figured the 15" Unibody was under

MacBook, MacBook Pro except MacBook Pro (17-inch, Early 2009)

If I remember correctly, the procedure has changed with the new Pros, it is now done like the MacBook Air.

Right Here

steffi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2003
Yeah something is odd because when I launch it it does literally nothing. I don't see any GUI on my machine. iStatMenus shows the RPM as normal.

i suggested fancontrol to help experiment. to diagnose the problem. if your fan sensors i truly kaputt then fancontrol would be able to tell you that

ViciousShadow21

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2009
To your left or right
Yeah something is odd because when I launch it it does literally nothing. I don't see any GUI on my machine. iStatMenus shows the RPM as normal.

hmm then i would say either your fans are messed up or that it's something else. are you sure there is no CD in there or that your HDD isnt running really fast. i hate to ask that question but it happened to me once. i was like what is up with my fans and after a while i realized it was a South Park DVD spinning.

steffi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2003
My machine doesn't have a CD inside it right now and has an X-25M (160 gb) instead of hard drive so I don't think it's the hard drive. The only thing it could be since it's at the back (near the screen) left hand corner area and that's where the left fan is. There's nothing else that would be rotating in that area.

hmm then i would say either your fans are messed up or that it's something else. are you sure there is no CD in there or that your HDD isnt running really fast. i hate to ask that question but it happened to me once. i was like what is up with my fans and after a while i realized it was a South Park DVD spinning.

ViciousShadow21

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2009
To your left or right
My machine doesn't have a CD inside it right now and has an X-25M (160 gb) instead of hard drive so I don't think it's the hard drive. The only thing it could be since it's at the back (near the screen) left hand corner area and that's where the left fan is. There's nothing else that would be rotating in that area.

just a thought. have you taken the back of to see if something is obstructing the fans?

steffi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2003
Just a quick update I took it to the genius at the applestore and he immediately agreed with me that something wasn't right with the fan and the noise it was making. They will be swapping out the fan. I hope they do both since you figure if one has gone the other is soon. He said something about the fans being magnetically aligned and sometimes they come out of alighnment and can become unbalanced and result in friction.

In anycase I'm hoping my machine with have two new fans in it tomorrow. I only hope that Apple takes care when taking out the screws because I know from having seen the machine with the back off earlier that it's a relatively easy thing to replace providing you have the part. Since it's under warranty I'd prefer Apple did the work but I still have some concerns about my machine coming back in the spotless condition it went in.

just a thought. have you taken the back of to see if something is obstructing the fans?

ViciousShadow21

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2009
To your left or right
Just a quick update I took it to the genius at the applestore and he immediately agreed with me that something wasn't right with the fan and the noise it was making. They will be swapping out the fan. I hope they do both since you figure if one has gone the other is soon. He said something about the fans being magnetically aligned and sometimes they come out of alighnment and can become unbalanced and result in friction.

In anycase I'm hoping my machine with have two new fans in it tomorrow. I only hope that Apple takes care when taking out the screws because I know from having seen the machine with the back off earlier that it's a relatively easy thing to replace providing you have the part. Since it's under warranty I'd prefer Apple did the work but I still have some concerns about my machine coming back in the spotless condition it went in.

so it sounds (sorry for the pun) like they were just out of alignment. i hope it all works out for ya.

steffi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2003
Just got a call from Apple Store today telling me that they stripped one of the screws and marked my case when trying to get it out and that they have to replace the bottom case to correct the problem so I guess my fears were warranted afterall and they'll be a delay until they get the parts they need.

Update:

Apple got the parts they needed and gave me a call to say that all the work has been done and the machine is ready to pick up today. This is the same day I got the call saying they needed to order parts so despite having screwed things up they have gone out of the way to fix things in a timely manner.

so it sounds (sorry for the pun) like they were just out of alignment. i hope it all works out for ya.

u49aa2

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2008
Between Heaven and Hell
Just got a call from Apple Store today telling me that they stripped one of the screws and marked my case when trying to get it out and that they have to replace the bottom case to correct the problem so I guess my fears were warranted afterall and they'll be a delay until they get the parts they need.

Typical apple! See my friend i pray every day now that i don't need to take my mac to apple store for repair ever! (all my fingers are crossed!)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.