Unibody pro and new years accident

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by flosseR, Jan 1, 2009.

1. flosseR macrumors 6502a

flosseR

I actually registered just for this post! :) Been reading here for a looong time but now I thought I'd finally get into discussions and what better thing than to immediately show that accidents happen to everyone.

Right here it goes.
    This is a brand spanking new Unibody Macbook Pro, with 2.8ghz 4GB ram and 320GB 7200RPM harddrive.
    The day of the accident 1.1.2009! What a way to start the year. I was walking with the laptop closed (sleeping) through my parents in laws house and it slipped out of my fingers. Hit the stone tiles form a height of about 90cm spot onto one corner and completely dented it. The pictures are in at the bottom of this post and sorry for the quality, taken with an iPhone.

Now, after the initial 1.5sec shock I picked it up and hear the super drive make funny noises. Please note the laptop had opened and was running.

I opened it and saw that the screen was ok and my desktop came up.
    So after initial check this was the damage:

Bent corner (screen and body), Superdrive didnt take any discs and kept making funny screeching noises, top part of the laptop (the whole screen top) was 1mm off meaning it didn't line up with the bottom

So I snatched a phillips screwdriver, took the bottom off and took the superdrive out, rechecked that physically everything was ok and attached the drive again, put the battery in, turned the laptop on and the drive functioned normally. I put the top cover back on, took the top part and carefully pushed it , now it lines up again with the bottom. Next I took a pair of pliers, put come cotton on either side and bent the aluminium corner of the screen back into place. not its only slightly bent (but you can clearly see it.)
    The body itself I will try to fix at home with some hammering and trying to get the dent out.
    Overall the laptop survived this accident miraculously well considering I have seen an old macbook pro fall from that height and completely shatter. In this case I have to say, Sh*tty start for the year but thank got for unibody aluminum this is sturdy as hell.

well back to relaxing on the first of January.

Happy new year to everyone btw.

//FlosseR out :D:apple:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

Eek! Was alcohol involved??:rolleyes: :p

I got wine on my macbook, but luckily the lid was shut so I just wiped it all off!

Good to see that the unibodies are built strong, I don't think my white macbook would have survived that!

3. tsvb macrumors 6502

Yeah I have a feeling that if you had the old version you would not have a functioning mac.

4. flosseR thread starter macrumors 6502a

flosseR

nope no alcohol

... just screwed up...

Well as long as the machine works I really don't care, this machine will be with me for a few years and when done I MIGHT consider buying a new body before I sell it.

It is a shame that it happened and I am quite mad with myself but accidents happen...

5. JencyR macrumors newbie

is it possible to buy a new body then? I have also a dent near the led indicator light. It was dark and i wanted to see how many battery I had left and i have pressed a dent with my fingernail :s I tought the unibody was strong.

How much will I pay to get my (under)body replaced?

6. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

Huh, what is your fingernail made of? :eek: This makes me want to do a Mythbusters like experiment. I assume it would be busted. I think the unibody would bend any mortal human fingernail.

7. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

ha at least nothings broken but id be pissed with that cosmetic damage to the shell! in the UK theres places you can go to get it fixed like with car dents but you might live in the US so i dont know.

8. akbc macrumors 6502

Ouch, I'm sorry for the accident.

Well, as long as everything inside works, right? that's what it matters.

If you happen to have AppleCare, I suggest you get it refunded if you can... I doubt they'd fix anything with that kinda dent. Heh

Good luck :)

9. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

ouch

Sorry for your accident! I've dropped my iPhone a few times (with no protective casing) and it doesn't even have a scratch on it. I've had my late '08 MBP for a few days and haven't dropped it yet! [crosses fingers]

10. Tinknock71 macrumors 6502

Tinknock71

Sorry for what happen to your Macbook Pro! I know how you feel, I dropped my 2 week old Macbook and put a dent in the side and scratched the top, I must have cussed for about a hour, ( the wife can vouch for this ) but the computer was ok, what I ended up doing was getting the speck frosted case for it, now it covers all the dents! but I'm still pissed, but now the computer does not look like a train wreck!

11. Electro Funk macrumors 65816

Electro Funk

unfortunately applecare will not cover damage of this nature.

although i am sure unibody shells will start showing up somewhere so you can buy one at a decent price and be dent free!

12. MasterNile macrumors 65816

MasterNile

That's why he said to get AppleCare refunded, because they probably won't fix any other problems that might occur. So might as well get your money you spent on AppleCare back since it won't do any good.

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

IF your computer is less than 90 days old, you can try to contact your credit card if they will cover it; I'm assuming you did since you have to order online for the BTO.

14. ktmrocks macrumors newbie

the exact same thing happened to me today. mine is the 13 inch pro and was inside a sleeve. actually we had a small motorbike accident. the macbook smashed on the concrete and now the right top part outside the lid is completely bent and dented. i might level it with a pliers like you did.
    mine also made the funny noise (the superdrive) but its functioning to say at least. its only been about an hour after the fall but i am yet to see any anomalies.
    s**t happens and i am really glad that its running after the accident. i dont think that my whitebook would've survived the fall.

15. melman101 macrumors 68030

I dropped my two week old Macbook Pro 13" off a table and onto the carpet. Man, I was sick to my stomach. No visible damage though. The only thing that happened was my hinge became slightly misaligned and the left top lid was rubbing against the bottom plate. I applied some pressure, and it barely rubs anymore. These things are tanks. I'm still worried I broke something, but everything has been working fine.