Unibody pro only have a/b/g wifi card?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by klooney, Dec 31, 2008.

1. klooney macrumors regular

I inserted my install dvd and booted to it. Ran the internet utility or whatever it is and looked at the wifi broadcom card info. It stated that it was an a/b/g nowhere did it mention that it was an n card. Is the n capability just not listed or do I have a bad/wrong card in my pro?

2. shoppy macrumors 6502a

You need to go to utilities and click on network utility and then select Network interface en1 and you will see you have n as well.

Attached Files:

3. DavoMrMac macrumors 6502

DavoMrMac

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I just looked into that matter with my Network Utility, and for me the en01 interface says I only have a/b/g, and no "n".

Does it have something to do that I'm connected to a 54Mbps network?

5. flosseR macrumors 6502a

flosseR

nope shouldn't matter

I am connected with a 54mbit link currently (g only) and it still shows the n as you can see in the screenshot.

This is on a Unibody as well

[​IMG]

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Unibody MacBook Pro 2.53 GHz

[​IMG]

Are there some models out there, which don't have N yet? Country-specific maybe?

I have to take a look at my Early 2008 White MacBook which should have N too.

PS: I just looked at my country's Apple page, and N is listed there too.

I just had a clean install, 10.5.6 was a little annoying for my MBP, but that couldn't be that, could it?

7. Fidgetyrat macrumors regular

Unibody MBP 2.53.

Confirming mine DOES list n in the exact screen you guys are posting.. Very odd. Im in the US if it makes a difference.

Maybe other countries had a restriction on pre-n devices?

8. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

My white MacBook 24 GHz (2008 model) has the a/b/g/n wireless adapter.

Tomorrow I go into the store where I bought the MBP and look at other MBP models and see if it is widespread.

PS: I just go into the store to have my battery checked, as it underperforms, not because of the wireless adapter as it is no biggie right now.
    I'll also perform a target disk boot with booth MBs I have to see if it has something to do with the system on the machine.

9. amoda macrumors 6502a

There is something wrong with the machine. You should've let the Genius inspect it while you where there, oh well.

Since it's not important use it as you are, but if you need to go to an Apple store for some reason or another do get it checked. It's not a software issue.

10. klooney thread starter macrumors regular

Glad I'm not the only one. I have the unibody MacBook pro 2.4 and I live in the us. it would be weird if they screwed up on the cards, I'm connected to an n router so I would think it would say n. We need to get more people to check their unibodys to see if it's widespread. Btw I have 10.5.6 and the newest airport update

11. Muler36 macrumors member

as for country specific, mines UK and seems to have the n specified. maybe its just a driver issue?

Attached Files:

12. Ploki macrumors 68000

13. Mercellus macrumors regular

MacBook Pro (Late 2008 / Unibody) 2.4 GHz
    Canada
    Shows "A/B/G/N" standards as shown in the attached screenshot.

I would recommend contacting AppleCare or visiting a Genius Bar at your earliest convenience to get this issue resolved, you may have a faulty AirPort card.

Attached Files:

14. T1M4NT macrumors newbie

15. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I also have an Alu iMac (2Ghz), which has the a/b/g/n wireless adapter (shown in the Network Utility).
    Now I put the MacBook Pro in Target Disk Mode, connected it to the iMac (FW800 to FW400 cable), and guess what.... now it only shows an a/b/g wireless adapter.
    That's really strange, as only the MBP's HDD is used as a startup volume, and not any other component. SO it seems to be a driver issue.
    But putting the iMac into Target Disk Mode helps nothing, as the MBP reboots time after time, only showing a blank grey screen, then turning the display off, and then playing the notorious chime. And that in a loop.

I try again with my MacBook, which has a working a/b/g/n wireless adapter.

The MacBook as a startup volume shows me, that I have an a/b/g/n adapter.

The MacBook has 10.5.6, the MBP has 10.5.5 (downgraded from 10.5.6 as it removed the trackpad feature and was suspect of really abysmal battery drainage) and the iMac has 10.5.5.

So the culprit might be 10.5.5. I'll see later.

PS: How to roll back to 10.5.5 from 10.5.6, without reinstalling? Will the 10.5.5 Combo Updater from Apple's Support site do?

16. Mercellus macrumors regular

As far as I know you'd have to perform an Archive and Install. You could modify the 10.5.5 Combo Update .pkg file to allow installation over 10.5.6 but that would more than likely wind up being very tricky and probably unstable.

17. Ploki macrumors 68000

18. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Now I have 10.5.6, and the adapter is a/b/g/n too.

Really strange how a software update can modify my hardware in such way.
    Probably it just enabled the n. WTH.

19. Menge macrumors 6502a

Menge

I have an unibody MB and installed 10.5.6 manually (combo update from 10.5.5 to 10.5.6) and I have a/b/g/n enabled.

You shouldn't have to try the enabler. Do a system archive and install and see if you get it back. If you don't, then you should take it back to the store/genius and complain. This is a no-argument switch :)

20. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

@ Menge: I just did an update from 10.5.5 to 10.5.6, and the Network Utility showed me that my card is a/b/g/n.

So it might have been a bug in 10.5.5 not recognizing the wireless adapter correctly in 10.5.5 .

I didn't install anything else to enable the n.

I will still go to the store (which isn't a Apple store as my country only got one recently, 500 km away) and let them check out several mishaps.