Unibody Sata connector cable needed - advise?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nightfly13, Jul 3, 2009.

1. nightfly13 macrumors 6502a

nightfly13

So I was swapping some hard drives around in my 12-hour old 15" June Unibody MBP and apparently I broke the hard drive cable. More like I tore 3/4s than broke it. Thankfully I was installing a SSD into the optical drive so I'm still up and running, I just don't have the stock HDD in there as a data drive.

I saw something on eBay for around $50 - I'll have to open the MBP back up and see precisely what the cable looks like - I'm wondering if there's a store that'll have the piece I require? I'd prefer to not take it to an Apple store and have them void my warranty because the HDD isn't user-serviceable part.

Input/help appreciate!

2. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

http://www.ifixit.com/MacBook-Parts/MacBook-Pro-15-Inch-Unibody-Hard-Drive-Cable/IF161-015

order from these guys....they rock!

that cable will not work for your's i think you need the newer one. call them they should have it for you.

good luck!

3. nightfly13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nightfly13

Thanks that's the site I'd been thinking of but forgot the URl. So when I called they confirmed they don't have any parts for the new ones in stock. Estimated 'more than a couple months'.

Any other thoughts?

4. nightfly13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nightfly13

Just to update for posterity, no one has this piece online, went to a physical Apple Store and the guy basically said he'd help me out - ordered the piece (store didn't have it in stock) and said they'd waive the labor ($130) and just charge me $30 - but I had to come back once they got it in stock.

I need to reconfigure everything back to the factory status (remove my SSD in optical bay etc) and they'll leave my warranty alone - so that's good.

I probably could have done this with a closer Apple reseller, but they would have charged me for labor. No way to order the cable and install it myself - for some reason he thought it would be a couple years before it was sold for third parties. Weird, but perhaps consistent with the fact that ifixit.com only has 'used' ones - presumably pulled from defunct systems.

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Glad to hear you got it sorted out; sounds like you found the right person at the Apple Store to talk to. If only everyone's experience went so well...