Unibody Screen Brightness?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MBX, Apr 30, 2009.

1. MBX macrumors 65816

hey i noticed a slight decrease in screen brightness of the new unibodies.
    Anyone of you with same experience?

2. jgo78 macrumors 6502

3. MBX thread starter macrumors 65816

yeah the previous and last classic spec mbp's

4. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

i dunno mine gets pretty bright. i've always kept mine at pretty low brightness anyway about 1-3 clicks below halfway point.

5. The General macrumors 601

Do you have the 17" UMBP? I do, and I had a very dim screen when I first got it. Reinstalling Mac OS X fixed it. It's a very common issue.

6. MBX thread starter macrumors 65816

yes the 17''

how do you mean "common issue"? :) i mean i can't just reinstall os-x again just because apple has some bug like this where software prevents the screen from being in real brightness.

i migrated it from previous mbp but i honestly don't see how that should be the reason why the new one dims the screen brightness.

any way to fix that without re-installing everything?

7. The General macrumors 601

Reinstall Mac OS X, and right after the welcome video, use Migration Assistant to migrate your stuff over.

That's what I did. Mine was dim after using Carbon Copy Cloner to clone my old drive from my 15" UMBP.

That is not your problem. That's by design, it's supposed to do that. Seriously, reinstall Mac OS X and your screen will be wayyy brighter.

EDIT: Here, read this. I tried the bottom two "solutions" but the only one that worked was reinstalling Mac OS X.
    http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20090310144257501

8. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

yah, this hasnt been posted before...................................................

9. MBX thread starter macrumors 65816

yeah but i can't reinstall os-x again.

i did migrate from assistant at the beginning by the way. so then i shouldn't have this problem?

10. aleni macrumors 68020

i only use 1 or 2 brightness. it's quite bright enough.

11. The General macrumors 601

You need to reinstall Mac OS X, make a fake account just to use, then open Migration Assistant and migrate your stuff into OS X.

Using Migration Assistant immediately after the welcome video does not work.

If you take it back to Apple, they'll give you a new one that is just as dim.

12. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Can't because you don't have your stuff backed up or because you don't have the install disc? Not sure why you can't or are unable to…

Any way this might seem like a problem that I just encountered at an Apple Store while looking at a new 17" with a matte screen. Just awful looking as if a blue see-through film was over the screen but fade would also apply to it. I was really hoping the screen would be awesome but I'm not sure I would want to take a chance and still have an iffy looking screen (and I really do like matte screens FWIW) :cool: