Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

schreck

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 21, 2007
New England
Hello all!

Yesterday I received 4gb of 1066mhz DDR3 RAM from OWC. I proceeded to install it and boot the machine - no discernible issues. I put the computer to sleep and shut the lid, later plugging it in to my 20" ACD while still closed - I've never had problems getting the computer to wake from sleep while shut by plugging it into USB/Display port adapter (while leaving lid closed). Normally, it will output video directly to the display without hesitation/problems.

When I did this yesterday I got a black screen. I open up the MacBook - black screen, no response whatsoever from the machine. So I have to manually reboot. Later, with the laptop closed, I tap my external keyboard to attempt to wake the computer up - same thing. Any ideas as to what could be causing this problem? It arose immediately after installation of the RAM, but this does not seem like something that would be linked to the functionality of the memory, rather the PC may not be recognising it correctly.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Regards,
AS

kkachurak

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2007
Orlando, FL
I just did this same upgrade and am having the exact same issue. I removed the RAM and now my Unibody wakes from sleep appropriately again.

I think this is a known issue that I've read about on MacRumors before. I was hoping that either Apple or OWC would have figured it out by now, but I guess not. It blows, because the 4gb was really making the ol' girl fly. And now I'm back to 2gb with no real hope for how to get back to 4gb.

Guess I'm returning the RAM for a refund. Hope OWC understands.

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
Unibody Macs are very picky about their ram. I had 4 GB from Crucial and began having odd issues all over the place which I thought was caused by the SSD i installed. I requested an RMA from Crucial and they responded promptly and said there is a known issue with the Unibody MacBooks.

it seems the issues with ram is not specific to just crucial though. I'd return it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.