Unibody Surgery, Superdrive and On Button

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dark knight, Dec 1, 2008.

1. dark knight macrumors regular

just some findings on opening up my MBP 2.53 Unibody

after my superdrive died in my new unibody apple sent me a replacement Macbook pro. unfortunately the replacement arrived with a wonkey on button. i took the opportunity to open up both notebooks and swap the on button rather than get another computer sent to me. while i was doing this i noticed they appear to have changed the sort of super drive used.

my first unibody (october) had an: Unbranded HL-DT-ST DVDRW GS21N Firmware SA15, made in korea

my second (november) has a Matshita DVD-R UJ-868 Firmware KA14
    this second drive appears to have (under "write strategies") the added ability of CD-Raw in the list of formats (whatever that is). The drive is branded as panasonic and made in china

the only other difference is that the new drive is a fair bit quieter and quite different to look at.

the swapping of the on button isnt too hard, i see a few people seem to have had a button that sits a bit low in the body of the notebook. just under the button is a little spring that on my replacement notebook didnt push up hard enough. also the symbol on the face of the button had been printed skewed. i really dont know how these things get passed quality control, LOL.

2. EngenZerO macrumors regular

my week 41 unibody has the matshita drive.

i got my mbp the week it was released.

3. zorahk macrumors 6502

I've been wondering, why is it MATSHITA when the company is MATSUSHITA

Can apple just not read Japanese?

4. 91macclassic macrumors newbie

Let me start by saying I come from a long unhappy story of being an earlier adopter CTO purchaser. Ordered during keynote, REV 1 baby. My advice never ever do it...got a lemon, back and forth phone calls headaches, only buy from store...anyway.

Finally got my replacement, no more loose battery cover, not that i complained, now has the 9c84 display, not much difference between that and 9c85 after calibration (dont lets the posts on here fool you) and a different superdrive.

My first lemon unibody 2.8 had HL-DT-ST DVDRW GS21N Firmware SA15, made in korea with the NICE NEW ZIPPY sound when opening the book. My replacement model has the old school, ANCIENT sounding Matshita DVD-R UJ-868 Firmware KA14.

Okay, question, which is the more desirable drive and why? I already miss that modern HL-DT-ST sound...am I nuts? Compulsive, alone in this?

Holla back. :D

S

5. MVApple macrumors 6502a

I've had two macbook pro's. The superdrive on my replacement sounds different, but they are both Matishita drives. It's possible they are different models though.

6. lscangus macrumors 6502

The QC on these mbp are reli disappointing...

7. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Everybody says this, it's a common and well stated fact that almost everyone with a problem posts here, while those who have no problems, dont.

8. lscangus macrumors 6502

Your are very right actually. I had two MBPs and two of them have defects. But some people are trying to persuade the problems are "normal" or even a feature. :rolleyes:

9. dark knight thread starter macrumors regular

i totally agree that any forum gets people paranoid as the people who are totally happy with their notebook are busy playing with it and the unhappy ones want to tell the world about it and get posting.

that said i do think that apple do put form over function and quality a little to much of the time. i love my new unibody MBP but problems exist with these things that just dont plague much cheaper product ranges.

i think my biggest concern about this notebook is denting its soft shell where a plastic laptop would bounce and flex. the superdrive really is a delicate little thing and a tray loading drive would be great but just isnt cool enough.

a think a balance has to be struck but that apple just veer a bit too much on the form side and not enough on the function and reliability side.

BTW
    the Matsushita/Panasonic drive is quieter and so far more reliable than the unbranded first one. that said neither seem to be as bullit proof as a tray loader.

10. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

uh the "unbranded" one is Hitachi-LG.

both are a crap shoot. I had trouble iwth the panasonic one on my first MBP which got replaced. Bought a second macbook pro with the LG drive and it's been okay since. but i have had to replace both on customers computers.