Unibody top case replacement cost? UPDATE: I fixed it!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Quicksilver867, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Quicksilver867, Jun 12, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2013

Quicksilver867 macrumors regular

So my cat decided he'd like to rub his head on the open screen of my 15" MBP while it was near the edge of my bed..it hit the deck (wood floor) and now has the lower right-hand side corner noticeably dented. The left-side hinge also rubs on open/close now. The machine works flawlessly but it drives me CRAZY having it like this.

Anyone know what it'll cost to fix? Do I want to know? :(

Regards.

2. The Unseen macrumors member

The Unseen

recently Apple changed in warranty the top case of my mid 2012 13'', the cost was about 140 euros

3. Quicksilver867 thread starter macrumors regular

4. kamuix macrumors regular

I stripped a screw and the apple genius said in order to remove it they would damage the topcase in the process. So they wanted to charge about 230 for the part and labor was around 50 if I remember the quote correctly. So basically I'd be paying a genius to destroy a piece to remove a screw. I decided to live with it (just trying to install an optibay, not the end of the world). The total was about 300 ish.

5. Quicksilver867 thread starter macrumors regular

UPDATE for you all!

I am typing with my recently-repaired system. I landed a BRAND NEW bottom case on eBay for $250. Plus about $25 for the iFixit toolkit for this swap. Two hours and CAREFULLY poring over iFixit's guide, and here I am. Fresh case with new trackpad and keyboard. Feels like a brand new computer. :)

6. smcgil9899 macrumors member

Good job Quicksilver867! I have done a few these. Pretty easy if you follow the guides.

A little tech tip, if you strip a screw, you can put duct tape on the end of the screwdriver to help remove the stripped screw.