Unibody Upgrades To increase performance

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DJTHEFUNNY, Mar 26, 2010.

1. DJTHEFUNNY macrumors member

If I upgraded my HD to A 320GB SSD And my ram to 8GB of DDR3 how that would affect my unibody mac's performance!

lemme know youre suggestions, thanks!

2. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

They make a 320GB SSD!?

What's your current setup? What do you use your Macbook for?

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

It will get slower in every regard I think.

Or not.

SSDs are up to five times faster than regular HDDs, more RAM will prevent your system to swap to disk at early stages of your heavy workload.

Ah, MRoogle can also answer those questions, as it has been asked once or twelvety times already.

4. belvdr macrumors 603

That's the ultimate question. If someone infrequently does video editing (say once per week), it may save them 15 minutes a month. Depending on one's value of time, it may not be worth sinking several hundred dollars into a unit just to save 3 hours per year.

It will likely make zero difference for a user who is a heavily surfs, uses an office suite, or farts around in System Preferences to see what it does.

5. gmehje macrumors member

Its not a MPB but I have a 256 SSD in my Mac Pro. And yes it may save only 15 minutes a mont. But when its launches Photoshop in 3/4 seconds when you are really pressed for time with clients bretahing down you neck it really does make all the difference (16GB RAM helps as well of course).
    In the MBP I am typing this on its a 7200RPM drive which is way better than the 5400 but I miss the SSD!
    G

6. belvdr macrumors 603

Agreed, but somehow I don't think the OP is using this for business or even gaming.

7. DJTHEFUNNY thread starter macrumors member

Music production (with logic, it usually gets parked at a studio and thats what i record on)
    DVD Digitization (i usually move 5-6 movies off at a time to network storage)

Massive Amounts of Emailing (business actually)

netflix

world of warcraft

dual boot to windows for games

8. belvdr macrumors 603

Depending on how much you are encoding at to what degree, it may have an impact, but I'm guessing very little.

How do you digitize 5 - 6 movies at once? Considering you mention Netflix below, I guess you are referring to copying 5 - 6 to a NAS at once, this will have no impact.

No impact.

9. DJTHEFUNNY thread starter macrumors member

i usually digitize (Rip, Convert) watch and then movie it to our d-link server. i usually movie them off 5-6 at a time. so would having an SSD effect the upload time?

10. belvdr macrumors 603

No.