Unibody vs. Whitebook -- and mastercard rant. -- and free beer!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mikefly, Dec 9, 2008.

1. mikefly macrumors regular

Hey, so my logic board needs to be replaced... i'm out of applecare, but have an extended warrantee with mastercard.

Firstly I'd like to say that mastercard / Mondial Insurance require me to get a notarized statement saying that I do not have 3rd party insurance - I asked them why - they said that's our policy - I said why is it your policy, they said that's our policy. (I feel that it's to discourage people from filing claims)

Anyhow, assuming that they honour their warrantee, apple is recommending not to repair, but to replace (apparently logic board is $1400?????)

Which route should I go.. I've read a couple other threads

Video card is more or less moot (I don't play video intensive games)
    Firewire is moot

Most important is physical durability (toughness) and lack (or likely lack) of issues/problems.

Also, I suspect that if I went unibody, I'd need to cough up the difference in cash - and perhaps buy applecare this time round (for either machine) -- not get jerked around by mastercard.

Tanks.

2. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but there are 2-3 threads asking this same question each day. All you have to do is scroll down the page(s).

3. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

The White MacBook has been around longer so will have less bugs in it and will most likely last you longer hardware wise. Both cases are pretty tough.

4. mikefly thread starter macrumors regular

yup

have read the threads - I think I addressed a few points that were relevant - i.e. firewire etc.

anyhow, it may also be moot, as apple specs suggest that the unibody can't output to s-video -- bizarrely.

Also, I have to say I'm at a loss how the new screen could be worse -- how does that make any sense at all?

Mike

5. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

Regarding the screen, it's a personal preference. Go to the store and check them out.

6. AngerDanger macrumors 68030

AngerDanger

Go with the Unibody, they only got rid of firewire because pretty soon they'll have USB 3.0. Not to mention the TrackPad and graphics card are superior.

7. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

If you don't use FW then that won't be a problem for you. The screen like the poster above me said is a personal choice. I'm of the opinion that all reg Macbook screens don't look real good and the last gen and this one are very similar quality wise. That debate has been beaten into the ground so go judge for yourself.

8. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

A logic board replacement should cost around 500€.

My iBook's logic board failed, and the replacement would have cost me around 480€, but as I had warranty, nothing had to be paid by me.

Durability, better performance: new MacBook
    FireWire: old MacBook

9. deorg macrumors 6502

deorg

Unidoby is soo sexy I wonder when it will be for sale in the 17"

10. habubauza macrumors regular

habubauza

I went to do a side by side comparison today at the Apple store. And now I see what everyone is talking about. There is no question that the new MacBook screens are horrendous. I am not sure what all the advocates are looking at. The reflectivity of the new screens is so intense that you are drawn to everything reflected in the screen except the actual image that the computer is trying to project on the screen. Compared to the previous generation MacBook, well there is no comparison. The previous generation MacBook has a superior screen although it's not as bright, I believe it's of a better quality and less reflective. I can't believe Apple would utilize such inferior manufacturing of the screen. I know a lot of people are saying, "well, you should go for the newer one, more modern, better equipped for snow leopard, firewire is on it's way out, blah, blah, blah" well I say that at some point you have to be honest with yourself. Apple has stripped down the MacBook, something fierce. Don't believe me? Go look for yourself, and look at all that crap that is reflected in the screen, better yet, do a side by side comparison. Compare some of the stock pictures in iPhoto like snow playing or crab beach, look at the pictures! And tell me that the new screen isn't unbelievably annoying.

Even the new MacBook Pro has significant reflectivity issues, although, like the iMac, it does have enough power and brightness to overcome most of the annoyance. The best screens onlaptops are: The 17" Macbook Pro, the MacBook Air and the previous generation MacBook. As a matter of fact, the Macbook Air's screen really, puts the new MacBooks to shame. Check it out for yourself. Overall with the loss of firewire (I have an HV20 Camcorder) and the ridiculously "bling" bright glossy screen there was nothing to gain from acquiring any of the new aluminum MacBooks. I personally was in the market for a new Macbook Pro, but when I saw the atrocities, I used the money to buy a new previous generation Macbook Air and an iMac and I couldn't be happier. Your mileage may vary, but at the very least go and look for yourself, you will see what I and other people are talking about. If you can get your hands on a previous generation MacBook, you will have a much better machine as far as use-ability is concerned. That is my opinion, but I really am shocked that so many people have been trying to excuse Apples poor decision in the construction of these new MacBooks. Good Luck.

11. mikefly thread starter macrumors regular

huh

anyhow, I'll go in and look at the screens -- the s video will be an issue, as it means i can hook up the computer to my 20 year old (beautiful) tv.

from the feedback though, it seems like the $ difference would be better spent on applecare.

sidenote -- a major point of the thread was to blast mastercard - a notary... come on.

also, were the macs more dependable before they went intel, or were there always all these freakin' issues? ... to be honest, it was still a brilliant business decision for so many reasons -- i just wonder if their quality control has slid - or it was always shoddy.

And..... I have to say that the staff at the apple store are phenomenal - so it seems to me that this compensates for the quality issues -- i.e. they replaced my failed harddrive (sans data sadly) even though it was out of warrantee.. I didn't even think to use disk warrior - a shame as it was sitting with my backup disks - and now my harddrive has gone to hardware heaven.

and.. as for the logic board, i have absolutely no idea -- originally they said about $1100 (700 euro), but then said $1400 -- either way, I'm waiting on an official quote.

anyhow.