Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mansa

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 14, 2009
I saw a video where a guy put the drive from a 1TB WD mypassport un a macbook unibody. I have tried my self but the connections are different and I can find the video. What am I doing wrong or is this not possible?

Nov 28, 2010
located
Normally it is possible to put any 2.5" S-ATA HDD with a maximum height of 12.5 mm in a Unibody MacBook, but maybe that HDD has a propriety connector WD put on there.
Can you make a photo of that HDD's connector and attach it to your next post?

MacBook, MacBook Pro: Replacing the Hard Disk Drive, transferring data to the new HDD

the guide includes:
  • 0. Identify your MacBook or MacBook Pro
  • 1. Getting a new HDD
  • 2. Guides to replace the internal HDD with a newer one
  • 3. Transferring data from the old HDD to the new HDD
  • 4. Using the optical disk drive (ODD) slot for placing an SSD or HDD inside the MB/P (OPTIBAY)

mansa

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 14, 2009
Normally it is possible to put any 2.5" S-ATA HDD with a maximum height of 12.5 mm in a Unibody MacBook, but maybe that HDD has a propriety connector WD put on there.
Can you make a photo of that HDD's connector and attach it to your next post?

MacBook, MacBook Pro: Replacing the Hard Disk Drive, transferring data to the new HDD

the guide includes:
  • 0. Identify your MacBook or MacBook Pro
  • 1. Getting a new HDD
  • 2. Guides to replace the internal HDD with a newer one
  • 3. Transferring data from the old HDD to the new HDD
  • 4. Using the optical disk drive (ODD) slot for placing an SSD or HDD inside the MB/P (OPTIBAY)

Thanks for the info I attached a pic of the drive

Attachments

• photo (1).JPG
    photo (1).JPG
    2 MB · Views: 71
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 40

mansa

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 14, 2009
That's not a standard SATA interface. Where did you get the drive?

It is a WD My passport not using this one as it it is damaged but was just checking before I decide which drive to buy. I saw someone use the drive from a mypassport before but may be it was a different model.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.