Unibody white macbook, cheapest price possible?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by matthunter3, Nov 23, 2009.

1. matthunter3 macrumors newbie

I'm looking at selling my 2006 1st generation macbook pro and buying the new white polycarbonate macbook.

The macbook costs £800 new from apple, and i'm wondering if there is any place I can get a discount or any way I can get a substantial discount - I am a student in further education (college doing A Levels). But i'm wondering if any of you guys know any tricks to get this machine as cheaply as possible or if (a long shot I know) apple are likely to start selling any reasonably priced refurb machines in the near future.

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I would imagine that the EDU store is going to be a bigger discount then third-party retailers. I would say that the refurbs won't trickle in until 2010, but it's all speculation.

3. matthunter3 thread starter macrumors newbie

I just read an engadget review of the unibody macbook - I think I might try and put the extra money towards a Macbook Pro because it doesn't appear too durable, which is a shame because it would otherwise be brilliant.

4. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

Looks o.k. when I've handled them. What are engadget attempting to do with one, saw concrete?

5. matthunter3 thread starter macrumors newbie

http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/22/unibody-macbook-late-2009-review/
    Doesn't look like it would fare too well, and I would prefer something more durable (I cant stand scratches).

I'm not really too sure though, i've been scouting the classifieds and ebay for perhaps an older Macbook pro unibody or aluminium macbook - I would like the luxury of having a dedicated graphics card because even though I rarely play games when I do I like having them on good settings. Obviously I know the 13" macbook pro isn't dedicated so the 15" will beat it leaps and bounds, but it all depends on how much its going to cost me, I figure I have a max budget of around £750.

6. jamin100 macrumors 6502

I brought a brand new boxed sealed 13" macbook pro about 2 months ago on eBay for £700

So i'd check there. Some are even selling for £600 ish (used)

7. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

If you handle the machines in an intelligent manner, you should be fine. To say that the MacBook Pro doesn't scratch would be a lie.

8. matthunter3 thread starter macrumors newbie

I've been looking at some of the older Unibody models without the 7 hour battery they fall in at around £700-800, and there is also the 8600gt model which I'm put off because of the graphics failure issues.

I suppose its just a wait and see type thing really.