Unibody will boot from External Drive but not Internal Drive??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by reLAXER564, Aug 7, 2009.

1. reLAXER564 macrumors member

reLAXER564

This post may be long winded so bare with me please.

So I started this situation with a bootable hard drive that I removed from a 4,1 (mid 2008) and a brand new unibody MacBook Pro. What I wanted to do was use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the old drive to the new MBP. I used CCC to clone the drive to the new one and repaired permissions on the internal drive and tried booting from it. No Luck. I figured this was stupid to do and I could just use migration assistant so I decided to reinstall Leopard on the unibody. Unfortunately when I attempt to boot from the DVD it doesn't go past a blank grey screen. I also tried holding down option to open the boot manager and select the DVD, when hit enter over the DVD it freezes. The interesting thing is that when I connect the old drive to the unibody using an enclosure I can boot from the external drive no problem. I tried using another computer to install leopard on the unibody over firewire and the installation went fine but when I start the unibody it doesn't go past a blank grey screen. I am also positive the hard drive isn't damaged or anything because when I go to the boot manager after leopard is installed the internal drive shows up but when I select it, it freezes. I have tried resetting the PRAM, NVRAM, repairing the disk (which is successful). When I try to boot into single user mode the computer freezes when loading the text. Another interesting thing is that when do boot from the external drive it goes through verbose mode every time and I never choose to do that. Right now I am attempting to clone drive using Super Duper to new drive and see what happens. Any help would be awesome! Thanks in advance!

2. reLAXER564 thread starter macrumors member

reLAXER564

Cloning the drive with SuperDuper worked but there is one small problem. It boots in verbose mode no matter what I do. I reset the PRAM with no luck. I also tried to enable and then disable it using the unix command with no luck. Any suggestions?