uniboyd macbook owners

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jordan eff, Jan 15, 2009.

1. jordan eff macrumors regular

well i've waited for months hearing of new imacs and i havent saeen any and i just keep hearing they are comming in a months time at the end of every month. so i am wanting to know about the pinions of the unibody macbook owners, the 2.4ghz is a bit pricey for be comming in at £1100 so can some owners of the 2.0ghz unibody macbook give me their views on it and what performance s like, does it cope with everything you use it for and is it lagging atiol

thanks

2. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

3. mattyb240 macrumors 6502a

Your question is quite vague.

What are you going to use it for? Video encoding? Web browsing? Mail? Graphic Design? How intensive are your tasks and needs?

4. jordan eff thread starter macrumors regular

i do pghtot editing, alot of web use and wifi, muci and videos

I just want to know if it handles all the applications well or does it lagg a little

5. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

You'll be fine. I use photoshop and also final cut and they both run fine. Of course a MBP would be better, but it's not necessary for me.

6. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

You'll be fine with the 2.0.

The built in spell-checker in Safari should be nice too ;)

7. jordan eff thread starter macrumors regular

ok thanks, but would the extra .4ghz make a difference

also i have just noticed that i could get a 2.66ghz aluminium imac for about the same price so would it be worth that over the macbook

i've not used a mac since my powermac G3 8 years ago so i'm new and asking alot :)

8. gamer2502 macrumors regular

I have the 2.4ghz unibody macbook and there is not really a big difference besides the extra 90gigs of hdd 400mhz and the backlit keyboard I thought it was worth the extra $300 but it's your choice this was my thinking though you can't upgrade the processor later and you can't put the backlight in the keyboard later but you can add a bigger hdd and more ram:apple:

9. yousoldtheworld macrumors member

yousoldtheworld

I bumped up the ram and hard drive, and I have had nothing but good luck with mine. I haven't yet had an issue with running any programs. I did get the 2.4 model, but my roommate has the 2.0 model and honestly there is very little performance difference under regular use.

10. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Just get the base 2.0 Macbook and upgrade the RAM to 4GB yourself.

11. Delorso macrumors newbie

I was just wondering about this. Is this now much harder to due with the new Unibody Macbook? If not, then it really makes no sense at all to buy it with 4GB for an extra $135, since OWC has them at $85...unless I'm missing something?

12. skorpien macrumors 68020

It's not overly difficult at all. Check out page 42 of the User Guide. As for letting Apple do it, when the unibody MBs first came out, RAM prices were comparable to what Apple was charging. There's also the peace of mind that goes with having Apple install it. If you have the confidence to do it yourself I say go for it. Some places offer RAM buy back which makes the overall price even cheaper, but I suggest you keep the original RAM in case it needs to go in for repairs. That way Apple won't be able to blame any issues on faulty third party RAM.

13. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Its really easy to upgrade the RAM yourself. Dont worry just go for it, but get good quality like OWC or Crucial.

14. xst1 macrumors newbie

how hard is it to upgrade the hd?

i wonder if it would be cheaper to do this myself than let apple do it?

how high could i go?

thx

15. Delorso macrumors newbie

Good advice. Thanks!

16. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

well since they are dual core processors in the macs, is .4ghz essentially .8? if multiplied by how many cores there are? and if thats the case than that is quite a significant amount of power..

17. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

I dont see how? Coding it just typing... You can code on any thing. Compiling more complicated things may be more time consuming, but still possible. Depending on what you are working on you may not be able to run it efficiently but you can code it very easily ;)

18. skorpien macrumors 68020

It couldn't be easier. Again, refer to the link I provided earlier to the User Guide. At around page 40 it will tell you how to replace the HDD. It's definitely cheaper to do it yourself, and you can go up to 500GB with the HDD currently. Seagate has released a 500GB 7200 rpm drive (though I'm not sure if it's quite yet hit the market), but most 500GBs are 5400 rpm. I upgraded mine to a 320GB 7200 rpm Seagate and it's working great. Just make sure to get a #00 Philips (if I remember correctly) and a Torx-6 screwdriver.

19. sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

in real world applications, you won't notice a difference between the two... The difference in benchmark numbers boils down to a couple seconds on bigger tasks. Really, it just comes down to whether you can type in the dark or not.

20. Johnathan macrumors member

Writing a lot of code in an environment like xcode where the widgets and UI elements take up a lot of the screen already makes it difficult and more time consuming on a macbook with limited screen real estate.

hooking up to a big external monitor fixes this.

-j

21. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

Yes, I agree.. but there are many things you can do.. Like hide every thing except the code editor screen. Sure if you were doing GUI work than a larger screen would help..

22. Johnathan macrumors member

You could also use a text editor. No one said it's unpossible, just that it's not ideal for it. I would agree.

-j

23. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

I know, but I was just nit picking:eek:

24. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

I hereby motion to make "Uniboyd" the official nickname of the aluminum Macbook.

25. tdream macrumors 65816

Is that the welsh version?