Unicode characters in iPad engraving?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mduser63, Oct 26, 2010.

1. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Has anyone gotten an engraving on an iPod that includes Unicode characters? I'm thinking about getting an iPad engraved and want to use a non-ASCII character (infinity symbol '∞') in the engraving. Googling revealed that in the past, Unicode characters showed up as question marks in the engraving preview in the Apple Store. However, I just tried it and they showed up just fine, so I'm wondering if Apple now supports them. I just don't want to spend $800 and get a non-returnable iPad with a screwed up engraving.

2. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

call customer support.

3. mduser63 thread starter macrumors 68040

mduser63

Well I answered my own question. The preview shows the unicode characters just fine, but as soon as you hit "Add Engraving" you get a message telling you which characters aren't allowed. So I guess I'll have to come up with an ASCII only message.

4. Gudus macrumors newbie

Odd that they would make it seem like it will work, then show that error message. Thanks for sharing, though