Unicode Language - Syriac on Firefox\Safari???

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Habusho, Jun 12, 2008.

1. Habusho macrumors 6502

Hi, I'm running Leopard 10.5.3 and safari is displaying Sriac (Semitic Right to Left Language) letters somewhat correctly. Safari won't display the letters correctly based on their sole or connected places forms a word. For example the letter "nun" would be spelled differently depending on its position in a word. Firefox on the other hand doesn't display the letters at all, it gives me numbered blocks. I've tried going into preferences and changing the "User Defined" encoding fonts to the correct Syriac fonts without any luck. Has anybody been able to display this language correctly running a mac????

2. tom@bluesky.org macrumors member

Mac browsers don't yet support Syriac (you need a Mac-specific font, and I don't think their is one). But you can copy/paste into Mellel, which can handle it.

3. Habusho thread starter macrumors 6502

Any update to this? I'm studying this language and all the texts online don't display correctly. Also, when trying to type the letters together in other programs like iWork, the letters aren't connected but rather typed individually.

4. tom@bluesky.org macrumors member

Unless you have found an AAT Syriac font designed especially for OS X, nothing has changed regarding this script. As you were told before, with the existing OpenType fonts the app you need to use is Mellel (not iWork, which doesn't even work right with Arabic yet).

http://www.redlers.com/download/tips/WritingInsyriac.pdf

5. kaonohi macrumors newbie

OS X can and does support leshono suryoyo...it's up to somebody to develop a properly built font to make that work (see below). Apple's implementation of foreign writing systems doesn't require interaction from Apple specifically (unlike Uniscribe under Windows which generally requires an algorithm for the writing system in question to be added by Microsoft). Anybody with the fortitude, determination and the correct tools can build a Syriac font that will work properly.

Unicode rendering under OS X happens natively when an application uses the built-in OS X technology (AAT/ATSUI - which requires specific font tables to be present). OpenType fonts require Uniscribe (under Windows) or some other methodology to deal with the information in the font concerning the correct layout. Mellel does this, but Microsoft and Adobe use different subsets fo the same information. This is why virtually no OpenType fonts (for uncommon foreign writing systems) work in Microsoft products and only specific ones work in some Adobe products.

The presence of only OpenType tables (and not the OS X required tables) is why Safari and Firefox won’t display Assyrian/Syriac correctly.

Apple applications, most open-source applications and a growing number of third party applications can handle the AAT/ATSUI information provided in some fonts.

Although there is no publicly available AAT font, I do have some in the works. They are remnants from a pre-OS X system that was never converted completely. Recent interest may change that. If you’re interested, I’d like to hear from you. (dkai at xenotypetech dot com)

6. tom@bluesky.org macrumors member

AAT Fonts

Did you mean AAT fonts? MS products have no problem using OpenType fonts for uncommon writing systems, and currently it is only Windows Vista which can do Classic Mongolian script for example.

One can only hope that eventually OS X will also be able to use OpenType fonts for complex scripts somehow. We all owe you and the couple other people skilled in making AAT fonts a great debt for giving us the ability to read and write various important scripts where Apple has not yet been willing to invest the resources to provide the necessary software.

7. Habusho thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm going to announce, that Kaonohi has just about completed the first set of Syriac AAT fonts out there. Everybody can show support for this project by purchasing these fonts from Xenotype tech, they should be coming out in the next few days. I've been using them for the past week and we've ironed out almost all problems.

8. kaonohi macrumors newbie

Sorry about that...I meant that existing OpenType fonts for complex scripts won't work properly in Word on a Mac because Microsoft doesn't support Apple's Unicode rendering information and doesn't provide its own mechanism to display the information in an OpenType table.

'Simple' languages don't present a problem but things like Tibetan, Syriac, etc. do.

9. Nizar Halloun macrumors newbie

Did you try using Google Chrome?