Unidentified Mac Pro on my network?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by mcdj, Feb 25, 2017.

1. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

In a routine check of my Airport clients at home, I noticed a computer called "tppadmins-Mac-Pro.local".

I don't own a Mac Pro, but I use one at work, and I do connect to my home Mac Mini with it via screen sharing occasionally, but that work Mac has a different network name, and I turn it off every day when I leave work.

Strangely, some of the things I normally see on my client list aren't there, like my Mac Mini, and one of my Apple TVs.

Should I block the MAC address of this client and see what happens? Could it just be a mix up in the device name?

I've never seen an unauthorized user on my network, and I've also never NOT seen my Mac Mini or my Apple TV connected.

Any info/advice appreciated.

2. Longer Lane macrumors member

Longer Lane

I suggest you reboot your base station and see if it is still there. I guess this is a different machine than the one you use at work. Try pinging it. Are you on your own network or have you joined one of your neighbour's?

3. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Block it ASAP! Someone is stealing your bandwidth or hacking you!

4. mcdj, Feb 26, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2017

mcdj thread starter macrumors G3

mcdj

Rebooted. It was still there. It's my own network, with WPA. I blocked the MAC address and neither it or any other new machines have been detected.

I'm going to check the MAC of my work computer when I get there tomorrow, but is it even possible for that computer to show up as a wifi client at my home, merely by screen sharing with my home Mac Mini?

5. rc135tx macrumors member

rc135tx

Personally, I'd change the network password & reboot the router. Then check to see what shows up. Should be just the device(s) that you give the new password to.

6. belvdr macrumors 603

This. Changing your network password to something stronger and rebooting is the first thing you should do.

7. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

This x2.

Also check you're running WPA2-PSK or whatever the stronger flavours are (NOT WEP!) Some wifi hubs have options to allow falling back to weaker versions, so turn that **** off.