unification of phone number and applied

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by questions86, Sep 11, 2012.

1. questions86 macrumors newbie

Does anyone know how this is supposed to work? For instance, once ios6 is downloaded, will it happen automatically, or will something need to be done in order to make it happen? The issue I cam trying to resolve is to be able to get my iMessages (that are sent to my phone number as most people do) on my mac as well (using Mountain Lion iMessage). Does anyone know 'how' this is supposed to work? Thanks!

2. chenks macrumors 6502a

chenks

it's not supported until Mountain Lion 10.8.2 is released.
    you enable from with the Messages client in 10.8.2

3. bob616 macrumors 6502

Or iOS 6 on the iPad and the iPod touch. I think it gives you the option as you activate iMessaging on those devices.

4. questions86 thread starter macrumors newbie

Argh...I was hoping IOS6 would resolve this issue. Do you know when 10.8.2 is supposed to release?

5. chenks macrumors 6502a

chenks

dunno, as i've only tested iOS6 on the iphone.

----------

probably same time as iOS6 is released as they have features that need each other.

6. questions86 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh, well that would be most convenient then. I sure hope so!

7. aarmstrong27 macrumors regular

I've been on 10.8.2 for a couple weeks now and have Messages on my MBA synced with my iMessage on my i4 and it works great.

Should release same day as iOS6. Just go into Preferences in Messages, and Accounts. As long as you have updated applied.apple.com with your mobile number, it will already be listed there and you just have to check the box and then change the CallerID to it.

8. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

No. You can do this on your iPad or iPhone. If 10.8.2 was required, then that would mean anyone without a Mac couldn't take advantage of this feature.

9. questions86 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the information. Just to be sure, these are the instructions once I have 10.8.2? Because I can't locate this in 10.8.1. Just making sure...

10. aarmstrong27 macrumors regular

The OP wants it to work on their Mac, therefore, 10.8.2 is required.

You are correct about Unifying across mobile devices: It has been possible since iOS6 early betas.

----------

Yes. Correct. 10.8.2 only.

11. chenks macrumors 6502a

chenks

there's no need to link your mobile number if you have an iphone :rolleyes:
    but yes, i did state later that i had only had iOS6 on an iphone and thus there was no setting to do so (obviously).

but as the OP is using a Mac then of course 10.8.2 is required.

12. questions86 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! You've been very helpful and I'll keep these instructions handy for when I have 10.8.2. Will I need to update anything on my iphone once I install IOS6 or will the unification happen automatically from the phone side? (I have a 4s now, if that matters).

13. chenks macrumors 6502a

chenks

when you enable the unification on your mac, you will see a notification appear on the iphone to tell you that it has happened.

14. Yptcn macrumors 6502a

Yptcn

As long as you have updated applied.apple.com with your mobile number, it will already be listed there and you just have to check the box and then change the CallerID to it.[/QUOTE]

Where must I update my mobile number ? On the main appleid page or in iMessage ? TIA

15. questions86 thread starter macrumors newbie

perfect - thanks!

16. aarmstrong27 macrumors regular

The only thing I did on my i4 when I started using iOS 6 was change my CallerID back to my phone number. I previously had it set as my email so that it synced with Messages on my MBA.

17. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Doesn't matter.

If you have an iPhone and a Mac, which are both using an Apple ID and the iPhone is using your phone number, you can unify them on the iPhone.

10.8.2 will drop before the day of iOS 6 public release, maybe as early as tomorrow.

18. aarmstrong27 macrumors regular

Where must I update my mobile number ? On the main appleid page or in iMessage ? TIA[/QUOTE]

Go to appleid.apple.com and log in. Verify that your mobile number is listed in the mobile number field (add it if it is not). Make sure you save changes if you make any.

Once that is done, and all applicable software is released and installed :) your mobile number will already be listed in the settings on any device you have signed in with your Apple ID. All you will have to do is select it.

19. chenks macrumors 6502a

chenks

how? i have iOS6 on my iPhone and haven't seen a unification option.

20. aarmstrong27 macrumors regular

It's the "Receive At" or "Send & Receive" option.

21. chenks macrumors 6502a

chenks

that's been there since iOS5.
    where' talking about unifying for devices that don't have a mobile number attached to them.

for the OP, he will need to wait for 10.8.2 to unify access to the Messages client.

22. Yptcn macrumors 6502a

Yptcn

Go to appleid.apple.com and log in. Verify that your mobile number is listed in the mobile number field (add it if it is not). Make sure you save changes if you make any.

Once that is done, and all applicable software is released and installed :) your mobile number will already be listed in the settings on any device you have signed in with your Apple ID. All you will have to do is select it.[/QUOTE]

Thank you ! It's in there so now we just have to wait ;-))

23. chenks macrumors 6502a

chenks

24. aarmstrong27 macrumors regular

Sorry. You specifically asked how to do it on an iPhone. It's not called "unification" in the settings on an iPhone, so I was just making you aware of the process.

I already answered the OP's questions.

25. questions86 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok - mine is currently set to my phone number, so I assume I won't need to update that.