Unified iDevice Launch Theory

Discussion in 'iPad' started by hockeyhammer, Jul 24, 2011.

1. hockeyhammer macrumors regular

With all the rumors of the iPhone 5, iPad 3/2 HD plus the regular iPods (touch, nano, etc) all releasing this fall at the same event and some older rumors of apple redesigning the dock connector (the iPod touch physically can't get thinner because of this) or even adding a thunderbolt port I think that apple may change up the dock connector then. Eventually they will have to so this so it seems logical to do so now as it seems that they are lining up all of their mobile devices to launch at the same time for no reason in particular. Just a thought.

2. Shawnpk macrumors 6502

How about no dock connector at all? Maybe all wireless backup/sync.

3. SR71 macrumors 68000

It would also need wireless charging.

4. Shawnpk macrumors 6502

I read recently that Apple filed a patent for wireless charging. Apple files tons of patents so nothing may ever come of it, but it's a possibility.

5. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

Apple's move to iCloud for media/document access, cutting the wire for setup, the avilability of inductive charging, and their obsession with thin all suggest Apple's future devices will be port-free. Bluetooth 4.0 was spotted in the new Macbook Air, so this low-power wireless tech will be their new path to accessories.

6. Chocolatemilty macrumors 6502a

Wouldn't the Thunderbolt port be too bulky to put on an iOS device? The width would be too thick. I'm pretty sure they'll stick with the dock connector at least through another product cycle. Unless they come out and wow us with the iPhone 4s/5 with inductive charging, having no dock connector at all won't be happening anytime soon.

I'd actually still want to still have the option of syncing through a wire to my PC for a myriad of reasons. For example, if my wireless network goes down for any reason (router shoots out, Internet goes down, roommate accidentally unplugs it, etc.). I may be in the minority on this but I'd still like to have the choice.

7. hockeyhammer thread starter macrumors regular

it would be awesome to have no dock connector at all, that and Bluetooth earbuds and you could remove the headphone jack too. Combine all that with an edge-to-edge screen and insane thinness and you've got a pretty amazing and futuristic phone! Maybe iPhone 6/7? (wishful thnking ;) )