Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyron

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2012
When 10.8.2 is released I plan to unify my iPad 2 and mac with my iPhone 3GS for iMessage. I installed the iOS6 GM on the 3GS yesterday and found it more sluggish than iOS5 - substantial lag when opening an SMS thread or opening the music app. There was lag before but I found it worse. I quickly put it in DFU mode and "updated" to 5.1.1 while 6.0 is still not officially released.

I have now updated the iPad 2 to iOS6 and was hoping that this would be enough to unify it with the 3GS, but it seems the phone needs to be running iOS6 too.

My question is, would it be possible to reinstall iOS6 on the 3GS, unify the phone and iPad, then revert to iOS5 with the unification still intact? I could also install the 10.8.2 beta so that I could do this at the same time if its not possible to add later.

Thanks for any help

eyron

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2012
The iPhone must continue to run iOS 6; someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Hmm, I might run a test and turn the iPhone off then see if the iPad still receives messages, if it does I dont see why the iPhone would notify that it had downgraded.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.