Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thijs Moonen

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 22, 2011
Dear fellow human,

back in the day I used to use Adium to receive and send messages from different services through one app.

Nowadays I use Apple Messages, Whatsapp, Telegram, and Signal to keep connected to everyone.

I'm looking for a single app on MacOS that connects all these services in one place. Ideally this app would extend to iOS as well.

Do you have any hints?

Thank you!

Thijs Moonen

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Oh I remember Adium, the days of ICQ, MSN messenger and yahoo messenger... :D

Don't think it's doable today. With motivations of platform locking (eg. iMessage). security (eg. e2e encryption and backup), or data collection (eg. whatsapp), an app like Adium is probably impossible today. Everybody want their services on their own apps under their control.

metapunk2077fail

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2021

Don't think it's doable today. With motivations of platform locking (eg. iMessage). security (eg. e2e encryption and backup), or data collection (eg. whatsapp), an app like Adium is probably impossible today. Everybody want their services on their own apps under their control.

Remember when iMessage supported Jabber?

kaardowiq

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2018
Zürich, Switzerland
Remember when iMessage supported Jabber?
iMessage never did, only "Messages" App on OSX/macOS did. Therefore, it just supported the Open-Source protocol. But yes, the dropped support of it sucks hard since we still use XMPP in our company and multiple possibilities of transport that got rid of it.

Imagine "Messages" on iOS/macOS with iMessage, SMS and XMPP. Woooooow

Thijs Moonen

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 22, 2011

I know, those were the days. Goes to show not everything is evolving in the right direction, tech-wise. It makes me nostalgic!

Thijs Moonen

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 22, 2011
iMessage never did, only "Messages" App on OSX/macOS did. Therefore, it just supported the Open-Source protocol. But yes, the dropped support of it sucks hard since we still use XMPP in our company and multiple possibilities of transport that got rid of it.

Imagine "Messages" on iOS/macOS with iMessage, SMS and XMPP. Woooooow
What is XMPP?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.