Unifying Phone Number and Apple ID

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by frostbit3, Jun 14, 2012.

1. frostbit3 macrumors member

Per Scott Forstall:

“We’re unifying your phone number and your Apple ID, So if someone calls you on your phone number with a FaceTime call, you can answer the call on your iPad or even your Mac. And we’re doing the exact same thing with iMessage.”

Has anyone tried this? I have an iPhone and iPad both running iOS 6 and both using the same Apple ID and everything. I have selected in iMessage on my iPhone to receive at both addresses (Apple ID and Phone number) but when I receive a text on my phone, it doesn't go to my iPad. Just like in iOS 5, I have to initiate the conversation from my iPad using my email, and then I can see it on my phone.

2. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

FINALLY!

But, this is functionality that will probably require the user to "merge" their Apple ID and Phone number. Again, this is a beta, so if it's not working yet, don't be shocked.

And at present, you have to switch the caller ID on your phone to be your Apple ID instead of your phone number.

3. ominx macrumors 6502

Interested in knowing if this is possible to setup in beta 1 as well. I also have both an iPhone and iPad running 6.0 and haven't yet figured out a way to unify my email address and phone number on the iPad.

4. WordMasterRice macrumors 6502a

It is possible but it's not a super clean unification. You have to have both the iPhone and iPad on iOS6. When you turn on iMessage on the iPhone you get a popup saying that "Such and such phone number was added on *device name* would you like to add it here too" you click yes and you get the phone number on the iPad too. After you click yes you get a popup on the phone saying "Device *device name* added your phone number to iMessage" (the popups are not exactly that but you get the idea.

The unification doesn't stick though, if you restore the iPad it doesn't retain that phone number, you need to attach it again. When I downgraded my iPhone I also lost the phone number on the iPad.

5. ominx macrumors 6502

Hmm... that didn't work for me. iMessage was already set to on for both devices so I toggled it off and the on again. It said, "Waiting for activation..." then that was it. I never received the popup you described.

By chance did you mean iPad instead of iPhone when you wrote, "When you turn on iMessage on the iPhone you get a popup saying that "Such and such phone number was added on *device name*...? Either way I don't see the popup.

6. WordMasterRice macrumors 6502a

Nope, I meant iPhone. When I turned it on on my iPhone I got the popup on the iPad.

It didn't work right away for me either, I did a lot of flipping switches and stuff until it eventually worked.

7. idkmybffjon macrumors member

its a little buggy right now, to be clear you need to have iOS 6 installed on both an iPad and iPhone for this to work (this feature is NOT in the current build of Mountain Lion).

sign out of both iMessage on your iPad and iPhone (not toggle off, sign out)

restart both devices

sign in on your phone and iPad, wait a few min and the number should add itself to the list in your iPad. if you select it, you'll get a pop up on your phone saying that your iPad will now be using this iPhones number.

8. ominx macrumors 6502

It actually just worked after toggling once but it took about 10 mins to get the popup... First on the iPad, then on the iPhone.

Thanks guys!

9. grinny11 macrumors regular

I had to toggle the switches a few times. It still wouldn't work. I rebooted my iPad and then toggled the iPad IMessage switch and it worked.

10. Parise macrumors 6502a

Parise

11. WordMasterRice macrumors 6502a

Has anybody come up with a procedure that works most of the time? I went back to 5.1.1 for a bit and now I can't for the life of me get the 2 to sync up after re-upgrading.

12. Cscottrun macrumors 6502

I believe I figured this out, at least this is what worked for me. Your apple ID is indeed associated with your phone number, but it is not automatically associated, you must set it.

Note: This is to associate your number with your iPad only, not for messages for mac.

1. Navigate to the manage your apple id page. (Or simply click the link below).
    https://appleid.apple.com/cgi-bin/W...n?wosid=rNpSLqo4xecDpml4J8bhxM&localang=en_US

2. Log into the apple id you associate with iMessage. Note that this account could be different then the account you use to purchase your apps. To be sure, on your iPhone or iPad, go to settings, then messages, then send & receive, you r apple id should be listed at the top of that page.

3. Once you logged into your apple id, on the left side, click phone numbers. This is the important part. Make sure that your iPhone number is listed under mobile phone. Personally, I had nothing listed and once I added my number and saved, everything worked.

4. It should be working at this point, but just incase, toggle iMessage on and off on your iPad and iPhone.

Again, this solved all my problems. Its entirely possible that it just coincidentally began working after I did that, but it'll be interesting to see if these steps do get it working for people. Let us know.

13. robbysibrahim macrumors member

robbysibrahim

It worked for me! Brilliant!

Now how about getting this to work on Mountain Lion DP4 too? Still no luck for me yet.

14. ProphetX macrumors regular

15. ikir macrumors 6502a

Yes it is working now, you need to log off and log in on your iPhone and select your AppleID as sender.

16. vigilant macrumors 6502

vigilant

I'm messing with this now, and I don't think there is a way to yet.

17. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

This worked for me, thanks. I posted some screenshots showing how it adds the mobile phone to the iPad.

IMG_0403.PNG

IMG_0473.PNG

IMG_0474.PNG

18. aarmstrong27 macrumors regular

I've been trying to get iMessage and FaceTime unified between my i4 (AT&T) with iOS 6b2 and my 2011 MBA with Mountain Lion GM and can't seem to figure it out.

Please post if/when you do!

19. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

I been using the messages beta for Lion and trying to get them unified but can't get it to work.

20. Kennysmoothx macrumors newbie

Ive tried everything I could without an iPad to get them merged and I had no luck.

I guess I would have to wait for iOS6 to be officially out.

21. mactmaster macrumors 6502

Yes, please wait till iOS 6 release. This won't be in Mountain Lion till 10.8.1

22. jordanskills134 macrumors newbie

23. jackal123uk macrumors member

Worked fine for me since the beta release at the beginning of the year but I do have a related issue...

Trying to make a FaceTime call between my iPhone and iPad (same apple ID) always fails but from iPad to iPhone goes through - anyone experience this or have a solution?

24. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

I think I got it from one of the threads here. Forums > iPad > iPad Wallpapers (Retina Ready)

25. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

It all worked flawlessly automatically for me! but just wondering.. what happens if i change carriers and change my phone number??