Uninstal of Parallels and Windows XP

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sundown08, May 24, 2008.

1. sundown08 macrumors newbie

Hello:

I am a newbie to the Mac but not to computers. I have an iMac. I had Parallels 3.0 and Windows XP Pre-installed before I received my IMAC. I have found that a number of my PC programs will not run properly with emulators. With that being said I would like to remove both Parallels 3.0 and Windows XP and then do a new clean install of Windows XP using Boot Camp. Can anyone give me the guidelines on how I would go about completely removing these programs so I can start with a clean install.

Your help is very much appreciated.

Best regards,

Steve

2. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

You dont have to remove Parallels to use Boot Camp. It actually works well together unless you are doing gaming or something very intensive.

With that said, the Windows VM is just a file somewhere on your disk. If you know the name of it (launch Parallels, but don't start the VM - it will give you the name) you can just delete the Windows files.

If you still want to remove Parallels, you should have received a Parallels CD. Insert the CD and run the uninstaller on it.

3. sundown08 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Merl:

Thank you so much for the help! Parallels will not interface properly with my GPS and music (guitar and Piano) software. From what I have learned it has to do with the emulators. The software I need to use will work with Windows on Boot Camp. I love the Mac unfortunately the music and GPS software I need to use is not yet offered in a Mac format.

Again thank you for your help.

Best regards,

Steve