Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

siggybert

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
hi ,

i ma new mac users so i am tryng to find alternative programs to the once i used under windows .

some are ok some i , 'move to trash' and look for eayser to use.

when i dont need program anymore i ' move to trash ' the program in my aplications.

:confused: is that enough?
i know mac is differnet , but under windows you needed to run several cleaning programs regularly to clean up all the bits and pieces left behind ....

greetings B

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
For 99% of Mac apps, moving the application icon in your Applications folder to the trash is going to eliminate the vast majority of the disk space that application takes up. There are preference files (small, a few kB) that remain, which you can remove using one of the programs listed here.

Important exceptions to this rule are Microsoft Office and any of the Adobe apps, for which you should use the included uninstallers.

iAlexG

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
UK
If you feel you want to clean up everything an App leaves behind then use AppDelete. Just drag an app to the AppDelete windows and it will find associated files and delete them

Sambo110

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2007
Australia
But it's fine just moving it to the trash, the small preference files take up no space and are there if you ever get the app again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.