Uninstall application that was installed via .dmg file?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by altjx, Nov 7, 2013.

1. altjx macrumors member

I'm pretty new to Mac OS and still learning the ins and outs. Just installed something via .dmg file and it's a CLI tool, so there's no application in the "Applications" folder for this. Any idea if there's a common way to uninstall applications that fit this type of situation?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. altjx thread starter macrumors member

4. LPZ macrumors 65816

If you name what you installed someone might provide you with specific uninstall instructions.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You don't need instructions specific to individual apps. The instructions posted will work for any app.

6. LPZ macrumors 65816

Probably won't work very well for a unix CLI tool, which might be installing libraries, headers and who knows what in various corners of /usr/local. I'd much rather take a look at the install script and see exactly what was installed and where.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

In over 5 years, I've yet to see an app that couldn't be successfully and completely removed using this method. I suppose there could be exceptions, but none have surfaced yet.

8. LPZ macrumors 65816

Your instructions seem quite robust, so perhaps if the OP follows them carefully all will be fine. But if the CLI tool (likely installed in /usr/local/bin and easily found by name or via Activity Monitor) depends on auxiliary libraries or support files that were installed too, then the situation becomes trickier.