Uninstall/Delete Vista Ultimate Virtual Machine VMware Fusion

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by wattsbrw, Mar 18, 2008.

1. wattsbrw macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I am new to the forum, and new to Mac's in general. Just purchased a new MacBook Pro 15" and installed VMware Fusion to run Vista Ultimate. I now want to uninstall Vista to do a reinstall of another OS but can not find any documentation on the subject. I have done some research and found that most people say to just delete the 14 GB Vista file in *Username* > Documents > Virtual Machines. However my question is for anyone that actually has had experience with this same situation. Since I set up a much larger partition (30 GB I believe) then will I still have wasted hard disk space to never be recovered?

Thank You,
    Wattsbrw

2. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Welcome to MR! :)

There are two ways to install Windows on the Mac.

a. Using Bootcamp

b. Using Parallels or VMWare and creating a virtual Windows image.

Since you are using VMWare and have a virtual image, you can delete the image to regain the space. Move the image to the trash, the empty the trash. The space will be reclaimed.

3. wattsbrw thread starter macrumors newbie

What about the extra partition space? Was that just the maximum to be allowed or was that space actually partitioned?

4. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

If you installed a virtual image, then there is only the file that contains the image of your Windows hard disk.

The only time that the Mac HD is partitioned, is when you use Bootcamp. And if you used Bootcamp to install Windows Vista, then you just need to use the Bootcamp Assistant to restore the Mac HD into one partition.

5. wattsbrw thread starter macrumors newbie