uninstall DivX 6

QCassidy352

macrumors G4
Original poster
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
stupidly, I installed the DivX codec for quicktime without checking that it was the universal binary version. The site doesn't say, and I just assumed it was... stupid, I know.

Anyway, I can't install the beta of the universal version (I get the message "nothing to install") without uninstalling the PPC DivX 6 that I installed. But while there is an installer script, there's no uninstaller script, and just dragging the app to the trash didn't do it.

Any help please? :eek:

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
MisterMe said:
:rolleyes:

Just drag the files to the Trash.
Thanx for being helpful. :rolleyes: Divx installs components that wouldn't be noticed by the casual user. I forget which folder they install in, but there's some bundles in a Quicktime folder you'll need to remove, may be in the library folder but I'm on a work PC at the moment, can't tell you outright.

QCassidy352

macrumors G4
Original poster
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
allan_zip said:
You'll find he codecs in Hard Drive>Library>Quicktime
thank you, but if I move those codecs to the trash, I still get the same message telling me "there is nothing to install." :( Help, anyone?

edit: I think I found the files. But trashing them did no good... I'm starting to think there's just something wrong with the installer... has anyone installed the UB of the divx QT plugin with success?

allan_zip

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2005
Belfast, N. Ireland
That's odd all right. Try removing the divx receipt packages aswell
HD>Library>Receipts
Or just do a search for 'divx' and ditch everything that turns up.
Other than that i'm stumped :confused:

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
Drag the receipt from /Library/Reciepts/DivX 6 For Mac Installer.pkg in to Pacifist and it will tell you what is installed and where. Remove all of that and the receipt pkg and you should be golden.

QCassidy352

macrumors G4
Original poster
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
risc said:
Drag the receipt from /Library/Reciepts/DivX 6 For Mac Installer.pkg in to Pacifist and it will tell you what is installed and where. Remove all of that and the receipt pkg and you should be golden.
thank you very much risc! That finally did the trick. :) Neat little app, that pacifist!

strangely, the divx converter app still says "PowerPC," but I see on their website that this is just an error, and it is in fact universal. :)

sfish

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2004
risc said:
Beautiful! I know this thread is old, but I couldn't find any information on the DivX site for uninstalling. This tip was perfect and I'll be spending the money I might have used to register DivX to instead register Pacifist!

shemp9999

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2003
Archive.bom

i was just looking to nuke divx today and found this thread.

i used the built-in commandline tool 'lsbom' to get the list of all files installled.

the file lives at inside the package>Contents>Resources>Archive.bom

cd there and run 'lsbom Archive.bom'

-ph

Xyp

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2010
Just a quick bump for this thread, cuz I found this super annoying with even the most recent version of Divx... Here's your solution, thanks in part to information from the page linked at the bottom of this post:

Delete files from all of the places listed in the posts (Mac HD/Library/Application Support, etc.)... AS WELL as the extensions for your browsers (Firefox, Safari, etc) in their own individual folders- i.e. Firefox's will be under

-> Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/Mozilla/Extensions

With a long nonsensical string of numbers / letters. Delete the whole folder. Extreme, I know, but if you want to fully get rid of the Divx extensions, this is the only way I found to do it... and I think you have to do each browser individually. For more info, see here...

http://picotweet.blogspot.com/2010/12/how-to-fully-uninstall-divx-7-mac.html

...and good luck.