Uninstall GM release if desired

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by aenflex, Aug 8, 2013.

1. aenflex macrumors newbie

Hi everyone -

Relatively new to Apple, sort of. Not really but sort of. Anyhow, I plan to upgrade to IOS 7 when the GM release rolls out this fall. Just wondering, if I don't like it can I switch back to the most current version of 6?

Thanks much!

2. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

Yes you can as long as the public release of iOS 7 is not released yet. Apple will stop signing 6.x.x software then.

3. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Once it is officially released to the public, no, you cannot.

If it's just the GM release (to developers), and hasn't been released to the public, then yes, you could.

You can only restore to software currently being signed (which is the most recent release). There will likely be a small window after the public release of iOS 7 that iOS 6 (6.1.4 for iphone 5 and 6.1.3 for earlier devices) will be signed, but it won't be more than a few days to a week.

4. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

You can (from saved ios6 image) if you don't mind reinstalling everything from scratch afterwards. Just did it on an ipad.

5. rxtech2013 macrumors newbie

iOS 7 GM

If you have the gold master of iOS 7, when the actual release comes out will it update? Or, will I have to remove the GM?

6. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

The GM is what new phones have when they leave the factory.
    In almost all cases, the public release will be identical.
    If for some crazy reason it isn't, then yes, your GM phone will be able to update just the same as those new factory-fresh phones.

7. rxtech2013 macrumors newbie

iOS 7 GM

Say it comes out tomorrow, if I have the GM will it show that I need to update?
    Also, I have the iTunes 11.1 beta will it update when they release the actual version?

8. jtfolden macrumors 6502

jtfolden

Not unless there was a last minute bug and Apple created a new GM for tomorrow's release.

9. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

partly incorrect. once 7 is released, 6 wont be signed anymore. the install will fail.

10. rxtech2013 macrumors newbie

What about iTunes 11.1 beta will it update when they release the actual version?

11. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

If it is different than the GM then yes, the phone will show that an update is available (again, just like a new factory-fresh phone would).
    Someone with a Mac will have to answer the iTunes question.
    With Windows betas there were no update notifications. All iTunes updates had to be sought out, downloaded, and installed manually.

12. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

it should if you have it set to check for updates. if not, just click the "about" menu in itunes, then select "check for updates"