Uninstall iOS 6 back to 5?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Bchagey, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Bchagey macrumors 6502

iOS 6 is draining my battery, and giving me poor slow performance on my Verizon iPhone 4. Is it possible to uninstall iOS 6 and go back to 5? My upgrade for the iPhone 5 is not until October 7th which is less than 2 weeks..but it's almost unbearable.

2. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

Are you backed up on iTunes or iCloud?

Have you completely restored your phone to factory settings via itunes. Do these things, then apply iOS6. Seems to work well for those with battery issues.

3. Bchagey thread starter macrumors 6502

iCloud back up. Can I do the factory reset/wipe from the phone itself?? Or should I do it through iTunes?

4. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

Not sure...I've always done it connected to my PC.

5. PDE macrumors 68020

As I understand it, it is impossible to go back to iOS 5 at this point.

6. al0513 macrumors 6502

I've tried all morning. I'm going to download old itunes 10.4 and go that route. :(

7. Bchagey thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you so much. Worked like a charm!

8. imacken macrumors 65816

It's not impossible. Just download the ipsw iOS5 file and restore to it in iTunes.

9. NedBookPro macrumors 6502

Unfortunately this no longer works - there's a limited window when this can be done.

I have tried myself, without success. :(

10. imacken macrumors 65816

What? If that is the case it'll be the first time you can't option-click on restore and point to the older ipsw file.
    I'll try later.

11. NedBookPro macrumors 6502

Yeah, apparently there's a limited "signing window", and once that's closed your device won't be "authorised" to install it.

If you figure out a way, let us know!

12. kleistra macrumors newbie

No, it's not the first time. That's how it has been since forever. Usually Apple stops signing the prevous firmware shortly after the new IOS is made public, exactly as this time around.

13. imacken macrumors 65816

Simply not true. I have always been able to go back a version for years now by the method outlined above.

14. kleistra macrumors newbie

No, you haven't. Unless you have been saving your Blobs.

15. imacken macrumors 65816

Eh, yes I have. I don't even know what a Blob is!

16. antdawe macrumors regular

Eh, not for the last couple of years you haven't. unless you done it within a week or two of new iOS. Apple stopped signing devices for iOS 5 the other day so unless you have previously jailbroken on 5 or saved your shsh blobs with tiny umbrella you cannot do it.

17. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

We are very similar. I'm too afraid to install iOS 6 on my iphone4 cause I need my phone for work/email. My update is also the 7th. Figured it wasn't worth the risk of everything so i'm waiting. Did you order the day it was released?

18. imacken macrumors 65816

Frankly, I don't appreciate being called a liar.
    Let me repeat, yes I have. Never ever had a problem restoring to an older ipsw file.
    Please don't tell me again that I'm lying.
    Thanks.

19. AppleMooseMan macrumors regular

I think there is some sort of misunderstanding here.

When Apple stops signing the firmware version, it's impossible to revert back to an old version unless you have your blobs saved! I don't care what you say!

20. imacken macrumors 65816

I am now out of here. I hope you all enjoy yourselves, disbelieving the facts.
    There are better things I can be doing than trying to convince some people of what I know I have done.
    Bye!

21. Bchagey thread starter macrumors 6502

Install iOS 6 and then do a full reset. It worked perfectly and my battery life is normal again, with iOS 6. I did not pre order my phone. I confident there is and will still be a supply all over my area next week.

22. golgo1313 macrumors regular

i'm afraid that this is correct. those who have not saved their blobs (through jailbreak and/or tiny umbrella) are out of luck if apple has indeed stopped signing 5.1.1.

23. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I'm not sure why you're arguing with NedBookPro, kleistra, antdawe or AppleMooseMan they're all correct.

When you install iOS, iTunes does a check against Apple servers to make sure it is an authorized version. If it isn't, the install cancels and iTunes displays an error. This happens even if you're option-clicking restore, and I believe has been the case since iOS 2 or 3. I don't recall when it was implemented. There plenty of websites out there that cover this, we're not here just making stuff up. I doubt anyone would make these ridiculous, difficult guides if it were possible with the easy method that you mentioned.