Uninstall Java

Discussion in 'macOS' started by shadowfayre, Jun 18, 2010.

1. shadowfayre macrumors regular

I have a desktop with the latest install of Java (by way of Software Updates) but it seems to be corrupt. Pages that use Java the Java section does not appear.

I know it is pretty integrated in the OS and there is no "uninstall" app to remove and reinstall. That said you should be able to at less remove it and let software update reinstall.

I have already remove the Preference files (ex: plist and all of the files under Library/Preferences) but there is obviously more (unfortunately removing the plist files were not enough to fix the problem)

The problem exist in both Safari (5.0) and FireFox, so the problem is on the system level. Still, nevertheless, cleared all caches files including Java caches) and no go.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

First of all, which version of Mac OS X do you have? Also, which version of Java is the default for running applets? You can find these things in About This Mac in the Apple menu, and Java Preferences in your Utilities folder, respectively.

3. shadowfayre thread starter macrumors regular

Opps. Sorry. Snow Leopard (10.6.4) and Java Version 1.6.0.20-B02-279 64-BIT

Thanks!

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Okay, that's odd. Is the Java plugin in the /Library/Internet Plug-Ins folder?

5. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

There's a bit to Java. For instance in /usr/bin/ there's the following Java Files.

Code:
    java
    javac
    javaconfig
    javadoc
    javah
    javap	
    javatool
    javaws
    Though I don't recommend just deleting them. Here's the latest Java install for 10.6. You can try reinstalling from that.

6. shadowfayre thread starter macrumors regular

Running the installer did not solve the problem. Unfortunately,

7. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Perhaps the Java Applets require a different version of Java installed, or simply do not work on Mac. Have you tried from another Mac? Perhaps you can post a link to one of these sites and others here can try it out to see if they have problems.

8. shadowfayre thread starter macrumors regular

I tested it on a laptop also running the same version of Java and it worked fine. The web site is an internal site but it also does not work with Amazon (they have Java there as well).

9. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I'm not aware of Amazon using any Java on their web site. Do you mean JavaScript? The languages are completely different despite similarity in name.