Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

codger

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2015
Cobham, England
Hi,

My ISP has made a pigs ear of setting up my Mail settings on my newImac, should have done it myself. Is there a way to "uninstall" all the ISP provided settings with out uninstalling Mail?

thanks

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Just go to Mail>Preferences>Accounts and delete (–) the account BUT FIRST, in the settings for the account, click on "Outgoing Mail Server", select "Edit SMTP Server List" and delete (–) any servers that are in that list.

If you let us know your email provider we can help you set it up properly.

Reactions: codger

codger

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2015
Cobham, England
Just go to Mail>Preferences>Accounts and delete (–) the account BUT FIRST, in the settings for the account, click on "Outgoing Mail Server", select "Edit SMTP Server List" and delete (–) any servers that are in that list.

If you let us know your email provider we can help you set it up properly.

Hi Brian,

I have followed your instructions and deleted my IMAP account. I have then copied the exact mail account details (POP) from my laptop but ISP server cannot validate it.

My ISP (in UK) is PLUSNET

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
First, check the credentials you're using at Plus.net's webmail interface.

Repeat my instructions from post #2 then try this in Mail>Preferences>Accounts:

Click the plus (+) sign to add an account.
Select "Other Mail Account" and "Continue"
Put in your email address and the WRONG password and click "Sign In"
Put your email address in the "User Name" field
Account Type "IMAP"
Incoming Mail server: imap.plus.net
Outgoing Mail server: relay.plus.net

This may be what you've already done but report back here with what happens.

Reactions: codger

codger

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2015
Cobham, England
Hi Brian,

Sorry for not replying yesterday but I had just about had enough, thought I had found the problem, but too late to solve it.
Firstly I "uninstalled" our two accounts in the way you instructed. Then set them up as POP accounts copying all settings exactly from laptop.

This worked for me but not for my wife's account. Ah ha I thought, I just wonder when I set up laptop Mail (6 years ago) if I had to use a different password for my wife. Too late to talk to the ISP last night but I did so this morning and that was the problem!

So thanks for your help BUT one other bit of advice please. Our two accounts each has it's own separate Inbox, set up automatically I guess on the ISP server as well as on my computer. However there is only one Sent box which contains the sent emails of both my wife and I. The ISP guy (who had an iPad and was quite helpful), said he was sure I could set up two Sent boxes by changing the Mail settings but could not tell me exactly where. I managed to do it 6 years ago for my laptop but be blowed if I can find how to do it now!!

Any guidance would be appreciated!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.