Uninstall OS X

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dpalmes1, Feb 5, 2009.

1. dpalmes1 macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

Quick question… I got 2 hard drives, my main one has Leopard on it, and my second one has Tiger. Does anyone know how I uninstall Tiger so I can free up some space on the drive?

Thanks,
    dpalmes1

2. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

3. claimed4all macrumors 6502

I would format, that way you do not miss anything. If you want to keep any items, move them to the other drive, format, then move back. Nothing a little disk utility can not fix.

4. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Yeah, if you have a whole volume you don't care about and want to free up, just format it. Quick, clean, gets everything.

5. dpalmes1 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have files on it, I just want to free up some extra space. I do have an external drive for Time Machine though. So should I delete the folder "System", or format it? But when I transfer the files back from my Time Machine drive, should I not select any to restore?

6. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

If your goal is freeing up space by removing OSX, all you need to do is trash the folder System on that drive. Reformatting is not necessary.

7. dpalmes1 thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, thanks! What about the Users and Library folders though? Should I delete those too?

8. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

That depends. Presumably you'll have any number of things on that drive you'll no longer need, such as applications, but you should be careful that you know what you're throwing out. I would, anyway.