uninstall printer software

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by shankara7, Nov 8, 2011.

1. shankara7 macrumors member

So I was up till 2:30 this morning, just purchased a HP M1217 MFP.
    So when trying to install the software I kept getting "must have admin privileges to install" or words to that effect.
    After force quitting it a couple of times and uninstalling it through the HP uninstall icon I noticed when I went to add through the printer & scan preference the HP printer was still listed under available printers.
    So my next cause of action I tried to go into Time Machine and bring it back to before I started this mess. I tried to restore the printer folder but got an error saying that I could not makes changes to said folder.
    So as of right now I'm lost and would be grateful for some help to get rid of HP software/drivers.
    Is Time Machine route the best solution or do I need to delete a specific folder?
    Sorry for being kinda of vague but being up till the early hours of the morning didn't help.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can try the method below, which is used for uninstalling apps. It may help. The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

3. shankara7 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the response, but I don't see anything to delete. I did a spotlight search for HP and there was no App or folder to delete.
    The only place I can find any mention of HP is in the printer/Scan preference, under available printers.
    Is there somewhere else I should look or under another name?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

/Library/Printers/
    /Users/username/Library/Printers/

5. shankara7 thread starter macrumors member

Question, why can't I use the Time Machine method, I thought this is what it was meant for.
    If so, should I restore the folders listed in the above post?

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I don't use Time Machine, and I don't know what settings you have for it. You can certainly try restoring those folders.

7. shankara7 thread starter macrumors member