Uninstall Sierra on MacBook Air

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by havejan, Feb 4, 2017.

1. havejan macrumors newbie

Hi
    I have a problem. i updated my MBA from a old version of iOS (teh original that was installed don't know the version) and am not happy with Sierra.

Is it possible to go back without loosing my data Notes, files, mails, pictures, etc etc)

Thanks for your help

2. chrfr macrumors 603

You will need to erase your computer and restore it from a complete backup.

3. havejan thread starter macrumors newbie

and if i don't have a back-up (know...stupid)
    --- Post Merged, Feb 4, 2017 ---
    I reead this on the apple site
    So it should be possible without step 2 if i am correct ?!

1. Start up from macOS Recovery by holding down Command (⌘)-R immediately after turning on or restarting your Mac. Release the keys when you see the Apple logo. Startup is complete when you see the utilities window.

2. If you want to erase your disk before reinstalling, open Disk Utility from the utilities window, then use Disk Utility to erase the disk. Quit Disk Utility when done.
      Erasing the disk isn't necessary unless you're transferring your Mac to a new owner, partitioning your disk for use with Boot Camp, or attempting to resolve an issue that Disk Utility can't repair.

3. Choose Reinstall macOS (or Reinstall OS X) from the utilities window, then follow the onscreen instructions.
      This installs the latest version of macOS that was previously installed on your Mac.
    Other ways to reinstall macOS:

If you made a Time Machine backup of your Mac, you can restore from that backup. This erases the disk you're restoring, then replaces everything on that disk with the macOS and other data from the backup. To proceed, start up from macOS Recovery, then choose Restore From Time Machine Backup and follow the onscreen instructions.

4. canuckRus, Feb 4, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2017

canuckRus macrumors 6502

canuckRus

Must be possible as my MacAir flipped or reverted from Sierra to El Capitan two weeks ago on its own with no knowing input from me. Only noticeable loss was Siri.

5. bingeciren macrumors 6502a

bingeciren

Just be aware of the fact that iTunes library and Photos library from Sierra will not be compatible with an earlier version of OS X. You will be greeted with a message saying that bla bla library is created with a new version of bla bla, please download and upgrade to a newer version. Which is of course impossible without upgrading the OS.

There are ways to get around this problem but they all take time and effort.

6. chrfr macrumors 603

This is not possible.

7. canuckRus macrumors 6502

canuckRus

How come I had been using Siri to get song names and info.and Siri disappeared four days later from my Mac? Checking "About This Mac" it shows El Capitan! Checking Software Updates shows an invite to update to Sierra.
    EXPLAIN THAT THEN !!!

8. havejan thread starter macrumors newbie

What does this mean for my fotos ?
    for reasons i don't want to mention i need to go back (version before Capitain i believe)

9. bingeciren macrumors 6502a

bingeciren

Well, I guarantee that as soon as you revert to an older version of OS X from the one you are running now, the Photos program will not be able to open your existing Photos Library because the libraries are not backward compatible. Same is true for iTunes library but that's another topic.

There are ways to rebuild the library but depending on the size of your collection, it could take a long time to do it.

1) Use the iCloud to upload all your photos. After reverting your OS, re-download them from the cloud. This is probably going to take forever no matter how fast is your internet connection.
    2) Buy a program to do it. There are programs claiming to re-build the libraries but there is no guarantee.
    3) Before going back to an earlier OS X, use the Photos program to export your picures to an external hard disk. Then after you roll back to an earlier OS X, use the Photos program again to import your exported pictures into a new blank library. You will lose your Albums but at least all your pictures will be re-imported.

My choice would be #3.

10. havejan thread starter macrumors newbie

i believe my wife hasn't got a library, she copied them from usb manually and from emails

11. bingeciren macrumors 6502a

bingeciren

If you are not using the Photos program, then there would be no active library so to speak. In that case, you are almost problem free.

Wherever the pictures are copied now, just keep them in the same location and you will be fine.

My 2¢ worth of advise to you is, make a fully bootable copy of your Mac's disk on a USB drive before attempting to downgrade the OS. Just in case things don't go well, you can always go back to your existing setup. I use Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC) for backups and cloning. It is a paid program but well worth it.

12. havejan thread starter macrumors newbie

thx,
    I also have following other data
    - outlook data
    - notes
    - files

is it really neccesary to make a fully bootable copy?
    I need to by disks then

13. bingeciren macrumors 6502a

bingeciren

Outlook data, notes and all documents are easily transferable.

No it is not absolutely necessary to make a bootable copy but it is highly advisable. If something goes wrong, and according to Murphy it will, then you'll wish that you had a backup. I rather be safe than sorry.