Uninstall Snow Leopard and Install Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by seanadams99, Jan 27, 2010.

1. seanadams99 macrumors newbie

I'm trying to buy a new refurb that will ship with Snow Leopard. I'm mainly buying it for the HD, RAM, and physical upgrades.

I have Final Cut Studio and Photoshop and I don't want to pay the $299 upgrade and rather stick with leopard on the new machine.

Is there any way I can uninstall Snow Leopard and install Leopard on the new mac so that I can continue to use my softwares?

I need to know before I purchase the new one ASAP so i can sell my older machine.

Please help!!

Also I'm not extremely tech savy so if you can give me a good explanation please!

-sean

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

If the computer you bought is a Unibody model, then no...it won't run on Leopard.

You cannot install an OS that's older than the hardware with OS X I believe. Photoshop will run under SL, you'll just have to install the Rosetta component if it's a PPC version of Photoshop (I use an old copy of Photoshop CS under SL 10.6.2 with Rosetta and it runs just fine).

3. seanadams99 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hm okay so Photoshop CS4 should run since its the previous version? What exactly is Rossetta?

And you think final cut pro will run?

4. mcruzader macrumors regular

Everything will run perfectly, Rosetta is used for when an app was created with the PPC architecture but you want to run it on intel.

5. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

CS4 is the current version of PS. It will run perfectly

6. seanadams99 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks so much haha. Okay I don't mean to be redundant here, but anyone got a solid answer on if Final Cut Studio will operate on Snow Leopard? I have Final Cut 5, so it's an older version. I believe now they're at 7. Anyone?

:eek:

7. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

http://snowleopard.wikidot.com/ says it works just isn't very stable. You may be able to use something like VMWare or Parallels to "install" a virtual machine for Leopard within your Snow Leopard installation for programs like this though.

8. Denarius macrumors 6502a

Denarius

We upgraded to Final Cut Studio 2 when we went to Leopard as we had tonnes of issues with it on Leopard so I really don't fancy your chances on Snow Leopard. Can't remember what they were now I think about it, but I remember that Compressor wouldn't work at all. Upgrading's not that pricey though relative to the cost of the machine.

9. Pax macrumors 6502a

Seems to be incorrect

My late '09 MBP came with 10.6.0 installed. I just booted it off a backup of my old '07 MB which was running 10.5.8. The MBP booted just fine, Mail and Safari worked. I didn't check every application etc, but I can say that a Unibody MBP sold with 10.6.0 definitely WILL run 10.5.8.

In fact, I would probably recommend downgrading to 10.5.8. I kept with 10.6 which meant I had to upgrade Parallels and OmniGraffle which cost me Real Money, and 10.6 is still buggy. So I am unhappy.

If you do downgrade, do if BEFORE copying your user files across, I expect it would be a real headache downgrading eg iTunes, iPhoto libraries.

10. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

Yes, Final Cut 5 does run on Snow Leopard -- just make sure that you --all-- update to Snow Leopard and your applications installed.

PhotoShop Extended CS3 also runs well on Snow Leopard (I use it myself).

11. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

No, he won't be able to do that -- Apple's EULA does NOT allow to run the Mac OS X client operating system in virtualization, and both Parallels and VMWare Fusion check if you are trying to install the OS X client and won't allow it. This can only be done with OS X Server, and even then it does not work well. For working audio support, for example, you usually need a driver from the HACKINTOSH COMMUNITY!

So there goes another big thank you to Apple for making the OS X experience suck so much!