Uninstall VPN: Hotspot Shield

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by macdaddy25, Dec 3, 2015.

1. macdaddy25 macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

So, I installed hotspot shield and it's messing up my computer. I don't know how to get rid of it completely.

I looked online and some guy said the way to get rid of it is simply to move the application to the trash and to empty it. I did that and I'm kicking myself for it now because now I don't know if or how I can fully uninstall it. I found a folder for hotspot shield too and did the same, so at least visibly, there's nothing for me to work with anymore.

It's slowing down my internet, set my default browser to yahoo and keeps making my internet crash. Well... it makes the page I'm on crash. It stops loading and it asks me if I want to debug the script, stop the feed or continue. I'm able to stop the feed and continue on as normal with the search bar; but yeah... It's pretty annoying getting that spinning wheel constantly and having to wait for that message every time I search something or whatever.

It's also super annoying that I have to use yahoo/keep making the default switch to google.

I don't know what to do.

I've read all kinds of horror stories at this point about people losing all their personal data, their internet totally failing...

Is there anything I can do from my terminal that doesn't require a unique ID or anything from the download? (As it's now deleted/invisible)

Bear in mind that I'm a total newby to terminal, to programming and I know basically nothing at this point except a few ruby concepts after a couple weeks of studying on my own.

Please help! I'm sure I'm not the only one who deleted the application and is now totally at a loss of what to do.

Thanks in advance guys!

- Kregan

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

There are two components to this... the VPN part that sounds like you already handled by deleting the app, then there is a browser extension that hijacks your home and search pages. Open Safari and in preferences look in the extensions section and see if there is an extension there for hotspot you can remove.

Also would be a good idea to do a scan for malware with the Malwarebytes scan tool here.