Uninstall yosemite

Discussion in 'iMac' started by hash-tag, Jun 3, 2015.

1. hash-tag macrumors newbie

hi can anyone help me with uninstalling yosemite and going back to mavericks, i like others find yosemite really slow,ive used the disc utility to format the partition that had yosemite on,but when i go to install mavericks from dvd its trying to install yosemite, i have googled it but struggling with it, ive even tried to delete the partition but comes up with error, ps i have a imac, the version of imac ive got is the last one with a dvd drive if that helps.

2. hash-tag thread starter macrumors newbie

3. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

You realized you just marked the thread "Resolved" not "Unresolved", right?

4. redheeler, Jun 3, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2015

redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

From my experience Yosemite isn't much slower than Mavericks. If you clean-install Yosemite and it's still slow, you've probably got a failing HDD and going back to Mavericks isn't going to help.

Edit: Or by "Mavericks" did you mean "Snow Leopard"? SL was the last OS to ship on a DVD, and does perform a bit better on HDDs than Mavericks or Yosemite. You can boot from the DVD by holding down the C key at boot.

Either way, you can solve your problem with an SSD upgrade.

5. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Can you restore from a time machine backup? That's what I did.

6. hash-tag thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks to the above for ur help, ive just done a fresh install of yosemite and seams a bit quicker, i will add more memory too.

7. roadkill401 macrumors 6502

roadkill401

Of the common responses on this web site, The big ones seem to be Go SSD and the hard drive is failing.

I will say that I found Yosemite to be a real dogs breakfast. It was as if Steve Jobs was the only reason that things worked and now that he is gone, all that Apple can produce is piles of crap. There might be some golden nuggets inside there somewhere but what you have to sift through to find them is hardly worth it.

I have the base model 2012 mac mini that works perfectly with Mavericks. I upgraded it to Yosemite and it would crash and work really badly with just about everything. This was a family computer that gets used to browse the web for recipes, and my daughter uses for doing her homework. There was nothing special loaded onto it and effectively a new computer less than 1 year old. I spent 2 weeks working with Apple formatting and re-formatting and re-downloading and re-installing and could not get it to work right. Eventually I got a good support person who showed me how to do an internet restore and got Mavericks back onto the mac, and everything has worked flawless again.

I have a new iMac 5K i7 and it has Yosemite. Again, it is less than 3 months old and this machine has been re-formatted and reinstalled more than 10 times to try and get it working properly. Perhaps I am too picky in expecting things to work like they are advertised. But there are BIG BUGS that sloppy code causes and no amount of re-installing will fix if your machine and the way your work doesn't fit the perfect mold.

Some of it is cosmetic. like every week the little download progress bar that appears under the doc gets left behind even though you are not downloading anything. The only way to fix it is to reboot. The Photo's app has a bug that it can corrupt the faces database so you can't link the face pictures with contacts. My list goes on. I hope that 10.11 fixes things, but I don't hold my breath.

8. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Well an SSD will always make a positive difference to performance in any eventuality, and verifying if the hard-drive is corrupted takes about 2 minutes.

The performance issues you're encountering when updating your Mac Mini are highly unusual; there shouldn't be anything close to those issues if you've done a clean install on a 2012 Mac Mini. As such, I'd recommend you do the following:

- Check if the hard-drive is corrupted (http://cloudfront.volitans-software.com/smartutility314.zip)
    - Swap the HDD for an SSD ;)

9. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I had the same reaction as roadkill. Tried to upgrade a rMBP (late 2013) several times with terrible results - instability, crashes, lag, etc. so I'm back to Mavericks and happy there for now. Will see what 10.11 brings.

10. DAVID SWANSON macrumors newbie

I recently replaced my old iMac with a refurbished late 2009 w/10.10.3 and it is just fine. The old one was slow with 10.10.3. The new one isn't. It's rumored that 10.11 will be announced on Monday 1 PM EST. What then ?