uninstall?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Thouchy, Apr 27, 2007.

1. Thouchy macrumors newbie

How do you uninstall programs on mac? Is it like windows lol....control panel...well I know it's not...that is why I am asking. So is there a special way?

2. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

Yes, drag the folder with the app into the trashcan - done.

If you want you can search for the appname in Spotlight to delete preference files still in your user directory, but this isn't necessary.

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

just trash the app, unless it came with an installer, which then usually serves as an uninstaller as well. but for 95% of all the apps out there (if not more) just trashing it will work. (prefs are left behind, but these are tiny files that won't do any harm left alone)

4. Thouchy thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks, thats what i thought, just wanted to make sure

5. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

Speaking about uninstalling why is the windows OS install stuff all over theplace unlike the mac? would it not be better if its all in one place?

6. smueboy macrumors 6502a

smueboy

Would a lot of things not be better on windows if they were like those on a mac?
    ;)

7. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

No mention of AppZapper?

I know you technically don't need AZ, but the ZAP! sound is just so satisfying :)

8. Mpulsive81 macrumors 6502

When I got a mac, I didn't understand how just deleting the application would uninstall the whole program. It wasn't until I went to my mac store for their "training" (getting started 2.0) that I found out. If you right click an application, there's the option to "show contents" (or something of that nature, right now my girlfriend's on my macbook while i'm on her pc...) In each application icon is stored the entire program. (minus the preferences files in the library)

Just thought i'd answer "why" instead of just "how". Hope that helps!

9. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

Correct - each application on a Mac is just a folder with a .app extension. Like you noted, the only things that aren't in that folder are caches, preference files, and other supporting files (all typically pretty small). They're fairly self-contained and can typically be removed just by removing the .app folder.

Some people (including me) really like to remove the plist, cache and app support files as well. I use AppZapper to do it, but you could just as easily use Spotlight and delete them yourself.

10. brandon6684 Guest

I usually only go out to delete all the little presences and stuff when I have some sort of troublesome app I need to remove every trace of, and spot light works well for me, but most of the "extra" stuff doesn't bother me.