uninstallation??? help plz

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by littlebluemac, Feb 26, 2011.

1. littlebluemac macrumors newbie

I'm pretty new to Mac, so this may sound pretty silly :eek:

How do you uninstall applications on Mac? I have a 13" Macbook Pro (reasonably new) and was wondering how I could easily uninstall programs- do I just send them to trash then empty or is there a whole uninstalling process you have to do?

Thanks, I know it's a bit of an awkward question. :D

2. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Just trash and empty. Yes, it leaves behind some trace files, but usually their size is negligible. Don't use apps like appzaper or cleanmymac. They cause more problems than their worth.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can usually just drag an app to the trash and that suffices. However, most apps leave behind files you create with the app, preference files that store the custom settings you made, cache files, etc. While such files usually don't affect anything, they do take up disk space. The only effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

4. littlebluemac thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks

Thanks for your help. So Clean my Mac isn't good software? Coz I keep getting a pop up about it, but I just close it. Has it had problems??

5. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Ignore that crap.
    Pop-Ups = spam.

You're fine, I promise.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

One app that I would not recommend, based on the number of complaints that have been posted in this forum and elsewhere, is CleanMyMac. As an example: CleanMyMac cleaned too much