uninstalled a winterboard theme, phone froze, did a hard reset, now reboot loop

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by polobreaka, Oct 25, 2010.

1. polobreaka macrumors 6502a

i have a 3GS with 4.1 jb with limera1n. i installed eclectic to check it out on my phone. decided that i dont want it, so i unselected in my winterboard and resprung. after phone loaded up, i removed the theme via cydia source. reboot the phone from sbsettings. then my phone froze at the lockscreen for couple mins, i had to hard reset by pressing home+power button.

now it is stuck at the apple logo with a reboot loop.

what could have caused this? is it possible to get into safe mode to disable winterboard if that is causing this reboot loop? what can i do to back up datas before doing a restore?

2. DeuceDeuce macrumors 6502a

DeuceDeuce

My iPhone 4 did the exact same thing with eclectic, I had to do a complete restore in DFU mode and rejailbreak. Luckily for me, I had a back-up from right before it happend.

3. polobreaka thread starter macrumors 6502a

bummer. i know i am able to backup via itunes while its on the apple logo screen, if i run the backup, and then restore later, would it be a bad idea?

thanks!

4. phillq23 macrumors member

Mine just did the same thing... same ****ing **** theme..

5. polobreaka thread starter macrumors 6502a

yea..i just had to do restore and setup as new phone. :(

6. THE dAY macrumors 6502

7. sawah macrumors 6502a

sawah

I have eclectic on my phone from their repo and now I'm scared to get rid of it :/

8. THE dAY macrumors 6502

Just keep it on there, also SSH to keep a backup of it.

When jailbreak for 4.2 comes out in the future, and you jailbreak with it everything will be deleted anyway and you will again start of fresh.

Then manually install the Eclectic theme and don't even deal with that M* repo.

9. sawah macrumors 6502a

sawah

Can I delete Eclectic from my phone using Diskaid without this issue happening?

10. Gilly Gil macrumors regular

Just had the same issue and had to restore. Luckily i was able to upgrade to 4.1 preserving the baseband for unlock. 1 question, do i restore as new or can i install my backup without any issues?

11. THE dAY macrumors 6502

I would restore as new, always best to start fresh.

You may or may not have any issues with your backup but why take any chances with it.

12. fahad2mail macrumors newbie

i use irecovery software for this problem. its a command line program. It can talk to your iphone even in recovery or dfu mode. it can force boot your iphone. here is how.

Instruction’s For Mac OS X :

1) Download iRecovery package for Mac OSX and Unzip iRecovery folder to desktop.

2) Open terminal and perform cd ~/desktop

3) Now change the permission of both files to 777 by following commands.

chmod 777 libusb-0.1.4.dylib

chmod 777 iRecovery

[​IMG]

4) Now launch Showallfiles you downloaded earlier, and Navigate usr > lib and copy the file libusb-0.1.4.dylib into that folder.

5) Drag-and-drop the iRecovery file into the Terminal so that you get a shortcut to it.

6) Append ‘-s’ to the end and press enter.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    7) Execute the following commands

setenv auto-boot true

saveenvs

fsboot

If the phone is still on boot loop then once again, just run through the procedure again. When my phone was stucked on Apple mode, I repeated the procedure 3 times and on third attempt my phone restored to usable condition. So don’t panic if you don’t succeed in first attempt. If the attempts fails then try again and this time replace “fsboot” with “reboot”

Instruction’s For Windows :

1) Download irecovery for Windows and unzip to Desktop. Install libusb from the downloaded pack for Windows users only Mac users can skip this step. If you are on Windows Vista then follow the steps given below to install Libusb-Win32.

* Right click on this file. Select Properties | Compatibility Click the “Run this program in compatibility mode” box and select “Windows XP (Service Pack2)” from the drop down list.
    * Right click again and select “Run as “Administrator”. Follow the installation instructions. Running the test program list the usb devices plugged into my computer – but not my new device.

2) Start iRecovery in Terminal / Console with iRecovery -s

3) Execute the following commands:

setenv auto-boot true

saveenv

fsboot

If the phone is still on boot loop then once again, just run through the procedure again. When my phone was stucked on Apple mode, I repeated the procedure 3 times and on third attempt my phone restored to usable condition. So don’t panic if you don’t succeed in first attempt. If all attempts fails then try again and this time replace “fsboot” with “reboot”

i am using windows. for me its easy. all you have to do cd.. command 2 times and go to irecovery folder with cd command. remember cd.. and cd is not same command . thanks.

download mac version of irecovery package: http://thebigboss.org/blog_downloads/irecovery.zip

download windows version of irecovery package: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=SHDZT7VX

13. polobreaka thread starter macrumors 6502a

i wish that was posted earlier so i didnt have to go through the trouble of restoring. oh well.